My Lovely Geese

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by HuntressOfLight, Apr 2, 2021.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Guarding my lovely bluebirds
    Two honkers headed home twenty minutes ago with a few more having now joined them, just as I was picking up many feathers of what I suspect to be one of their kin. I was mowing the property all afternoon, and I spotted them when I finally made it to the bottom of the hill bordering the treeline of Bunnyville, below a tall cedar tree, less than 30 feet from the bottom field. There is tons of white, soft down mixed into the dried leaves. I picked out what I could and all of the big feathers for proper identification, before the rains just arrived and nightfall. I saw no blood nor bones, nothing but feathers and many of them. All was not there when I last mowed. :(

I think it was the work of Lord or Lady Red-tailed Hawk. He flew there and low within the past two hours.

2. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Wasn't a goose. Would have preferred such over the reality. :(

3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Up and at 'em, off they go this morning. 60°F SW @ 9mph with 17mph gusts and overcast. Looks like the additional rain missed here for this morning.

4. TBo

TBo Spike

Jan 16, 2018
    West Ky
    That’s really neat. Actually had one setting in a tree by my pond. So different from my younger years when you never saw a goose till November and after February. Now they’re as common as any thing. Love watching them and seeing in my yard. A little messy sometimes but that’s ok. Got so much “personality “. Got two old girls on nests that I can watch from my house.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    HuntressOfLight likes this.
  5. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Very cool ! I would not mind at all, if they hung out here, even though they are messy. If I were not in a s/d, I would have a bunch of geese, just because I like them. I just heard another flock of them. I hear them almost daily, dawn and dusk, while other times throughout the day. Sometimes I can see them and other times not for all the trees. Just depends. I figured they would be honking all over the place this morning due to the weather change.

TBo likes this.
  6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Honkers ten minutes ago, due south and westbound. Expecting more fairly soon. They had formidable wind gusts again today. One of my doves was almost forced into a forward flip from one gust, while on the ground feeding. That was entertaining.

7. TBo

TBo Spike

Jan 16, 2018
    West Ky
    I’ve had 2-3 nest and hatch at my pond in my yard for years. I have floating nests they use every year and occasionally on bank at a cypress tree. Lot of fun to watch. Had such a large bunch of young ones several times that the state biology guys banded them at my pond 2-3 times over the years. That was neat to watch. Try to look for old shiny bands all the time. Think might still have some old guys that still come back around and nest. At least I hope so.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Interesting! That would be really fun! There is a gentleman down the way a few miles with a farm and nice pond whom typically has geese pop in on him. I thought I saw some young ones there maybe a month ago but unsure. I'm typically passing by his place so very quickly, that it's frequently difficult to determine what it is I see there and have been fooled in the past, for it all. He knows my father and thereby given me permission to stop in and photograph anytime. I do notice that the geese around here have calmed down a bit from a few weeks ago, making less of a large flock ruckus.

I am merely guessing that they have divided up into smaller flocks or pairs for nesting, but I still know next to nothing about geese and am simply learning whenever time permits itself. I prefer hearing/seeing the smaller geese, as opposed to the big B17 bomber crazy canuck honkers, myself. It's been a few weeks, since I have seen the former.

9. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Honkers just to the east have awakened and are doing their thing.

10. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Almost twelve hours to the minute, the honkers just arrived safely home to the east. They waited until the initial strong winds blew through and it stopped sprinkling, when all became eerily quiet after large bolts of lightning accompanied by thunder off to the north and south as well as west; the calm before the storm, perhaps. They are intelligent critters.

11. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    11:46am: two honkers north above the open field eastbound. Their calls were slightly different, higher pitched, and they had dark feathers. Partly cloudy after a short rain shower just blew through less than 30 minutes ago. 63°F, S winds @ 9mph one hour ago and now gusting out of both the south and the west...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    A few honkers just returned safely home to the east.

"17:53
    W 28
    G 39
    A Few Clouds and Windy"

13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    And some more just safely returned.

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    5:55am. Honkers just began stirring. They have more winds and gusts to contend with this morning.