My Lovely Bluebirds

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
Bluebird Box Monitoring
Accomplished
10:00AM

Box 2 - checked the box earlier than usual, simply because it's past due date average, and I had not seen any activity the past 24 hours. Mommy Bluebird exited, as soon as I called to her. I lifted the nest and noticed a few ants, one carrying larvae causing a nest pull and box treatment.

20220424_100011.jpg

Day 21 or 22, four eggs remain and one looks to possibly be hatching, while the bottom right one appears to have issues.

20220424_095900.jpg

Wiped the box floor down with Neem Oil solution and poured some around the base of the pole, then coated a one inch layer of axle grease along the pole base. Gently secured the eggs and then shook the nest out, placing it back into the box. Both parents watched. She flew out of the box three times for such, back atop her eggs in less than five minutes each time, but I was at the box less than 60 seconds each time.

Last edited:

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Bluebird Box Monitoring
Accomplished
12:00PM

Box 2 - no change. beginning to worry that the eggs are not viable. They were very warm, though, meaning mommy had just departed. She was up in her tree.

20220425_121226.jpg

Box still had ants. Nest was pulled and box treated once again.

Returned at 12:30PM with more axle grease for pole base, spotting both parents up within their tree and on guard. They were chatting up a fierce storm over my approach, and I was quick about it.

Box 3 no change but sparrows or something stuffed the nest material back into the box and are visiting it.

Last edited:

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
On Sunday only two eggs remained. I had wondered whether the parents were responsible. I had noticed them venturing around more.

20220504_214244.jpg

Yesterday, no eggs remained and signs of nest building provided the answer. House wrens had removed the eggs and began to build their own nest atop of it.

20220504_213642.jpg

I removed their build leaving the bluebird nest and installed my sparrow spooker.

20220504_213714.jpg

My efforts were in vain. A new build was there today

20220504_221751.jpg

It was also removed and the door was left ajar.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Bluebird Box Monitoring
Accomplished
10:30AM

Box 2 - Bluebirds are currently attempting to reclaim it, working as a team with one atop while another nest builds, after my having removed the many twigs last night, placed atop their last effort, compliments of house wrens.

20220519_104712.jpg

This is the first that I have seen of them, since their last failed attempt. I shall check the box later, repeating the process is my guess.

Something, and likely english sparrows, is attempting to claim Box 3.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Box 2 remains empty, which would seem to indicate that my lovely bluebirds may be winning their battle over the house wrens, but time will tell.
20220520_145002.jpg

The predator guard was off and in the grass. I have since removed all old glue, sanded all sides to include entrance/exit, and shall be reattaching it tomorrow morning. The box will be thoroughly cleansed and disinfected with bleach solution, just as dusk sets in, with the door left open all night, so as to have ample time for all to thoroughly air-dry, before potential nest building begins over the weekend.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Bluebird Box Monitoring
Accomplished
7:30AM

Normally wouldn't have checked the box so very early but ran directly past it this morning with Brewster, as we were breaking up an apparent fight to the death between two grackles. All grackles were involved, loud as could be. I thought it was a mobbing of a predator, but no. Brewster almost had them for breakfast, could even actually feel them within his mouth, but they broke all up just within the nick of time.

Upon return I checked the box, noticing that their nest build had begun as expected. It was sopping wet, due to the vast amount of rain we endured during the past 32 hours but should be dry by now.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Bluebird Box Monitoring
Accomplished
3:00PM

And then there were five.
20220530_150315.jpg

She may begin sitting as early as in the morning, which means babies might be seen as early as June 12. Time will tell. Interestingly enough, one is much larger than the others, just like last time. Parents were chattering from above, as I quickly checked.

What now concerns me are the grackles having recently decided to take-up roost nearby within Bunnyville. I just chased them off once in vain. Probably time to become a bit more aggressive...

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
One of our boxes has a successful hatch. We've enjoyed watching them work to feed the little ones. I still can't bring myself to "check" the boxes.

Wonderful. You can elect to leave the old nest or clean out their box, permitting them to begin anew once fledged. I just approached Box 2 and called from 5' out, resulting in the mother's exit; so, she is now confirmed as sitting and count can begin. She wasn't exactly pleased, chattering away up there, causing me to just quickly walk away.

20220602_125041.jpg

Latest posts