My Lovely Birds

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
Looks like a fat penguin.
20220611_153803.jpg

I just finished following Chirpy around the backyard again, finally causing a fence rail landing, but I imagine Chirpy is already back down in the grass, successfully hunting here and there. Chirpy was following a parent again, which continues to try and lead it this way, but became distracted. Chirpy may be ADHD.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Finally managed to herd Chirpy up one of the apple trees about 45 minutes ago, but I am pretty sure he just returned to the backyard. I hear him, and he sounds low as well as rather close. About to go check, before all light is lost...
20220611_202713.jpg

Think I just spied him run into the blackberry jungle.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
And just passed his first test of the morning with flying colors.

20220612_063150.jpg

One of the young, mega squirrels was headed his way, so I thought, causing me to make yet another chess board move. Little did I know, I was herding the squirrel directly toward Chirpy, because he had moved about 20'. When the squirrel got to him, Chirpy flew up and onto the county school superintendent's fence, just in time. I never saw him until then. He has become better at flying for safety within just 12 hours. Seems our work yesterday paid off.

Edit: and back down beneath the dogwoods over here he flew, once the coast was clear. He most certainly possesses a built in GPS.

Last edited:

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Lady Evil was just mobbed out of Bunnyville and chased off the property through Blueville. She is simply one impressively massive bird and causes me to wish that I had already replaced my camera, but not doing so until I hit metro and can walk into an actual, real camera shop...

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Hadn't seen the Baltimore Oriole pair until moments ago, because I stopped sharing my oranges with them. They had a huge fight low within a hardwood, with the female actually putting a hurting upon the male. He flew away one direction screaming about five minutes ago, with her then silently flying in the opposite direction, but I think they may be back at it now. Perhaps they are courting a second brood. Vocally going to town like parrots, now.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Seemingly wretched news, as well as fantastic news. Bad news first:

Looks like a Baltimore Oriole may have possibly bit the dust today, unsure.
20220612_152218.jpg
20220612_152153.jpg

Found one more feather, when chasing one of the Evils yet again mere moments ago. I don't know much about molting at all, but this doesn't seem to be that, with all of them in basically one place upon the ground upon the very edge of Bunnyville.

I know the female put a hurting upon the male today, but...

Saw her again a few hours ago, fighting with the twine again. She went inverted for it here.

20220612_111456.jpg

Quite the little acrobat. Hopefully wasn't her feathers.

Fantastic news equals privileged thread post.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
I consistently receive responses, playing these Oriole calls. No idea whether from actual Orioles or simply imitators, even though nothing else seems to compare to their loud calls.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
No idea what's up with this, because I currently have mega lightning bugs, all hovering only 1' above the ground this evening, interestingly enough. Went down to chase Chirpy up into a tree for the night and noticed all within the backyard, rather enchanting.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
10.) Their plant-based diets might suggest peace-loving passivity, but House Finches can be very aggressive, especially at feeders. In fact, they’re so territorial around food and nest sites that they’re one of the only birds known to fight off non-native House Sparrows. Where House Finch populations go up, House Sparrow numbers drop.

I do not know the reason, but my two cute, red house finches are seriously shadowing my bluebirds, harassing them and not done so previous years. Saw them closely trailing the male, even as he flew into a neighbor's yard.

Chirpy is doing extremely well. Ran out of tge blackberry jungle early this morning and have seen/heard much less of him today. He is well trained to actually fly from danger now.

Think one of his siblings just came up to the foot of the deck, loudly chirping and seemingly much smaller with different breast markings. Adult hopping around it now, hearing the call. Hopped over and into Pyroville. Probably need to herd it out of there...

20220613_192645.jpg

Female Baltimore Oriole seen/heard, as well.

Dove has been solo the past few days, up here all in the spiderwort. Think the nest is in a redbud as usual. My hostas are being bombarded with bird poo, just finished blasting all of with the hose.

Latest posts