My Little Hickory Trees

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
I planted maybe 10 of these large nuts and 8 of them came up and are surviving so far. 2 more have popped up under a tree where Nuts dropped off.
I planted them in the loose rich soil by the barnlot fence where the older trees are.
They will have to be Transplanted maybe this Fall.
Not much of a photo but you get the idea.

THIS one has a Yeller Jacket nest right beside it. I found it today when I was pouring water on it and they boiled out. Not sure what to do about it....may kill the seedling.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Shop vac.:)
Sounds promising but its 150 f
IF you can stop up the hole. Remove the little hickory tree. Then pour the hole full of diesel and light up their world.
All of these procedures will have to be done at night.
OK Bill, I will expect you here in a few minutes. Don't make too much noise when the sting the daylights outta you.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
Yes they are. Now suppose you and @barney tell me how to Kill them without killing my little hickory tree.
Just a thought but why couldn't you just bury them providing you find their ways of coming out.
I would mix up a tub of wet mud and pile it over the hole with some runny enough to seep down the hole.
I just wonder how well they can dig their way out.
Could cram one of those rodent smoke bombs in the hole and then cover it up. Night time for sure and you had better Bee quick.

00noturkey

12 pointer
Oct 31, 2011
High Grove
just the other day i read about an ant recipe, to kill ants. i have to look it up. borax detergent booster, water, and sugar.
i forget the measurements this morning, the sugar attracts the ants, they take it back to the nest. it could work with the hornets, but it could also work with honeybees. maybe at night, ya could put some borax, in the ground hornet hole. caster oil?
i got a quart of 'Martins', Permetherin online. doubt ya would need a quart to do something, just a mix of water and such.
5%-10% solution. spray around the area. still this is just a guess, though ya ya will have plenty of permethrin for your hunting gear.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
Last edited:

Latest posts