My LBL Trip

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bama hunter, Oct 7, 2021.

1. bama hunter

bama hunter Fawn

Jul 23, 2008
    Rising Fawn, Ga
    I posted a while back asking y’all for info on the thickest WMA and ended up doing exact opposite . I went to the wide open woods of LBL, although it’s pretty thick now with all the leaves on trees. 1st day there I scouted a ton and saw deer everywhere I scouted. Hopped in the truck after evening hunt, drove 500 yards and saw a legit 150” buck hop the road behind a doe, another doe followed him. I thought that was pretty weird, but also know that a random deer could come in heat super early..but he was with both of them…just a complete giant to me. Back tracked him the next day and didn’t see anything I would ever hunt. So crossed the road and scouted the area he was headed and found few rubs and a huge bed that I hope is his. What do y’all make of that encounter? Also, not 1 tick got on me for 4 days. CHIGGERS on the other hand ruined my trip. I will literally have scars. I loved the place and am going back 2 more times to try and get in and pre rut and rut action. Felt like I had the place to myself, but don’t know that it will be that way in early November.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    xbokilla likes this.
  2. Rutman76

Rutman76 Fawn

Aug 15, 2021
    Georgia
  3. Scooot

Scooot Fawn

Nov 15, 2020
    Independence,KY
    Come November place could be packed with weekend warriors. I'd say keep watching weather forecast and slip in there when the weather "wind" is right for you hunt. And to not have ticks after 4 days is awesome our first trip in my son must of hit a nest and had over 50 seed ticks on him that we seen when we got home.

xbokilla likes this.
  4. Rutman76

Rutman76 Fawn

Aug 15, 2021
    Georgia
    Check the lbl season dates. There’s a youth hunt the first week on November. Can’t remember the dates off the top of my head… you definitely got lucky with no ticks. It’ll be full of people in November, especially on the weekends.

5. Rutman76

Rutman76 Fawn

Aug 15, 2021
    Georgia
    Lbl season dates run different than the rest of the state.

6. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    LBL youth hunt is nov 5-7

7. hunt

hunt 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    Nice. Good luck

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Good advice above. Go ahead and load your clothes down with Sawyers. Deer in Ky can be on from Sept until February it seems like. Good luck. Glad you had a good time.

rabbit dawg likes this.
  9. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Come back when you get a chance

10. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I was down there in feb last yr coyote hunting it was in the high 30s and ticks were crawling all over my legs.
    First time I had seen them in numbers had only found 2 on me ever before and I never use spray down there in Feb and it has been in the 60 and 70s one yr after the ice storm closed the camp ground down and went back 2 weeks later.

11. dirthole

dirthole 8 pointer

Feb 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    My son got drawn for the youth hunt is quota permit says hunt days are 6 &7 of November

12. bama hunter

bama hunter Fawn

Jul 23, 2008
    Rising Fawn, Ga
    It is the 6&7, but u can’t bow hunt the day before a quota, so that’s probably why he added the 5th there.

13. grinder

grinder 10 pointer

Oct 28, 2003
    harrodsburg, ky, USA.
    Thats exactly why. Cant hunt friday, no one can. Gives them a day to scout

14. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Glad you had a good trip ............. but if I were a bettin' man I'd say those 'chiggers' were seed ticks !!

Redlined, Feedman and 1wildcatfan like this.
  15. bama hunter

bama hunter Fawn

Jul 23, 2008
    Rising Fawn, Ga
    Man I was wondering because the bites look smaller than chiggers, but they itch like chiggers. They are all over my lower half and forearms, but a million on my ankles.

bowhunter269 likes this.