My first sauger!

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
I was pretty excited. Any tips on consistently catching sauger and walleye. We were just trolling along on a tributary off the Ohio and I was throwing a deep crank and I've threw it a couple days with very limited action but I was switching things up with my retrieve and trying new things and about to toss this piece in the trash and I flipped it out by a couple stick ups and bam. My first sauger. It made my day catching a new species.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    845.9 KB · Views: 706
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 774

Ash12

10 pointer
Oct 21, 2007
Thats what I love about the Ohio you just never know what your going to catch! I have caught some Sauger up around the Falls of the Ohio but nothing near that nice. Congrats!

Xi Bowhunter

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2002
Goetz Farm
That is a nice one!

Before they school up around the dams, you can catch them around the feeder creeks on minnows and nightcrawlers.

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
Thanks everyone! There were schools of shad in the hundreds of thousands around us, no telling all what there was.

Brutus, I had high hopes and I had thrown that thing in all different kinds of water and structure with every different kind of retrieve and I have had one bass hit it and caught that sauger. But I'll give her another shot for sure. Haha.

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
That wouldn't be my first go-to crank for sauger. I'd want a slimmer profile one that knocked bottom. If you are a fan of Bomber I would use the deep long A.

Bouncing a chartreuse or white curlytail on bottom is what alot of folks use. You can fish minnows close to bottom as well.

KYhunter79

12 pointer
Dec 11, 2003
Irvington, KY
Thanks for the tips, grouser.

I wasn't throwing specifically for sauger, smash. I was just casting until we got to a spot I wanted to anchor for cats. But if love to catch more sauger or walleye.

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
Thanks for the tips, grouser.

I wasn't throwing specifically for sauger, smash. I was just casting until we got to a spot I wanted to anchor for cats. But if love to catch more sauger or walleye.

When it gets colder they will move out of the tribs and congregate below dams. Bottom bump a curlytail on a jig head heavy enough to get it to the bottom. Maybe tip it with a night crawler or shiner.

I caught one out KY lake near Birmingham while carolina rigging a baby brush hog in the summer.

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
When can you catch a few/bunch below Ky Dam?

When it gets colder they will move out of the tribs and congregate below dams. Bottom bump a curlytail on a jig head heavy enough to get it to the bottom. Maybe tip it with a night crawler or shiner.

I caught one out KY lake near Birmingham while carolina rigging a baby brush hog in the summer.

aceoky

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2003
W KY
Thanks anyway, grandkids supposed to come this w/e and I figured it was too early but would love to put them on some. I've never fished there myself (yet) but plan on trying to make several trips over the next few months with the wife. We only moved west Ky about a year ago and don't know what is "what" just yet , but the fun is figuring it out also.

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
Be careful down below those dams. They are dangerous and unforgiving places.

Me personally, I wouldn't have anyone under about 16 or 17 in a boat down there. Life jackets on the whole time and motor running the whole time.

Latest posts