Muzzleloading cleaning

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by kyoutdoorsman, Dec 8, 2019.

1. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    What's your go to cleaning supplies during cleaning and storeing it, I have heard dawn and hot water and then bore butter for storage,

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    non-BH, water or MZ solvent to clean barrel then a light coat of oil on a clean patch. breech plug cleaned with water or MZ solvent then smear some anti-seize on it. i leave my breach plug out of the gun until i'm going to shoot it.
    BH- same as cleaning a center fire rifle.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I use WD 40 to clean mine best thing I've ever used!
    No soap and water needed and a can last a long time.

4. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    This. Only difference is sometimes I'd use dawn w/water instead of plain water.

5. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Never done a mz but do a lot of shotguns and rifles.
    Anybody know what WD-40 stands for?
    Without googling it

6. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Water dislpacrment 40th attempt

kyhunter99, Meatstick and riverboss like this.
  7. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    Hoppes #9 and Balistol + a bunch of patches cut from an old t-shirt. And a wire bore brush to get started.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  8. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    Windshield cleaning fluid "blue" mixed evenly with rubbing alcohol.
    You'll probably never use anything else after trying this.

Randy1974 and kyoutdoorsman like this.
  9. miller man

miller man Fawn

Jul 4, 2016
    windex and viniger does great

10. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Depends on what kind of muzzleloader you have...

Soapy water cleaning is best for side / flint locks that have no removable breech plug...disassemble the rifle placing the open side lock breech hole in a bucket of hot soapy water and placing a clean patch around the jag of your ramrod to draw water up through the bore (acts like a syringe)... Then dry the bore out with clean patches...

For inlines muzzleloaders, remove the breech plug and clean like a centerfire rifle...use a good nitro solvent (for the black powder residue) and a plastic solvent if you shoot sabots...

I use a nylon bristled bore brush with muzzleloaders (this type can be reversed without damage)...do not use a standard bronzewire brush...

Make sure to use a good anti-seize lube on the breach plug (most auto parts stores carry large tubes)...

I usually place a soaked patch with CLP through the bore of either type and finish with one dry patch...

davers likes this.
  11. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Black powder substitutes are water soluble and that's all you need to clean the powder residue. Petroleum based cleaners won't dissolve the powder but the correct cleaners will clean plastic. @riverboss see the wd40 comments in the link, a local gunsmith was making similar statements in regard to wd40 and guns.
    How to Clean an Inline Muzzleloader
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/clean_muzzleloader.htm

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  12. Stone Branch

Stone Branch Spike

Jun 27, 2019
    Lewis county, KY
    dawn soapy hot water with a hot water rinse, air dry, then a light application of bore butter.

G

13. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    After shooting, I scrub the bore with very hot soapy water, and rinse with very hot water. After I'm satisfied it's clean I swab the bore and lock area, etc with pure Ballistol to store them. It is the best I've found to keep the bores from forming a surface rust in long term storage. When you want to shoot it or hunt with it again, just run wet patches down it a few times and rinse it with hot water. After it dries the Ballistol will be gone. Hoppes makes a ML solvent that is good for fouling between shots and general cleaning, but so far nothing I've found is better than Ballistol for storage.

kyoutdoorsman and HCDH66 like this.
  14. luvtohunt

luvtohunt 10 pointer

Sep 1, 2011
    Eubank, Ky
    I use Hoppes products. Start with powder solvent on homemade t shirt patches with the breech out. Clean from the breech end out to the muzzle. After my patches come out clean i run a dry patch and then an oiled patch. Clean the plug with solvent and dry then put some grease on it and put it back in. Back in the day with the older sidelocks we used to use a bucket of hot dawn dish water and put the nipple end of the barrel down into a gallon ice cream bucket of said water. I can still hear that sound and see my old man cleaning that barrel.

15. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    Lookup Ed's Red. There are recipes all over the web.

At some point I realized that with all these new powders and modern inlines and such, the idea of old fashioned went out the window. I started cleaning my smokepole with Ed's Red and it worked like magic. I've got a stubborn spot on my LHR Redemption. The plug is not threaded, and it gets stuck in the breach. I put some Ed's Red down the barrel and let it sit for a bit (sometimes as little as an hour, but usually overnight) When I come back, it slides right out. I wrap the plug in a 2" patch soaked in Ed's Red, and it wipes clean by the next day.

See "In Praise of Ed's Red"