Muzzleloader bullets

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by woodsman92, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Mossy Oak Boykins

Mossy Oak Boykins 6 pointer

Sep 11, 2019
    where my boykins take me
    only thing ive ever shot in mine since i sighted it in probably close to 20 yrs ago think im about to go down to a 100 gr powder as these old shoulders cant take much jar anymore cause it does rock your world with 150 powder have the same leupold on it as i do my deer rifle

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  2. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    Hornady SST 250 gr. in front of 100 gr. Pyrodex.

3. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    100gr Pyrodex and 240 pistol bullet

kyoutdoorsman and Junglekat like this.
  4. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I use: Hornady's 250 grain .451" XTP bullets & 90 grains (Volume) Triple 7 FFG fired by a shotgun primer.

KYBOY, kyoutdoorsman and Junglekat like this.
  5. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    This year it's 240gr XTP Mag bullet, Harvester Crush Rib sabot, and 110gr Goex FFg.

If you're looking for suggestions, I've also used the Traditions Smackdown bullets (same as Hornady SST-ML), and the Harvester Scorpion PT Gold bullets. No complaints about any of them.

6. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    I'm shooting all copper 270gr Federal BOR Lock from my Strikerfire . Haven't taken a deer with them yet, but they are easy to load and crazy accurate for me. I've used Hornady XTP out of my other ML for years with no complaints of accuracy or lethality.

7. countryboy3006

countryboy3006 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2015
    Northern KY
    I've always had good luck with 100gr powder and a 245gr powerbelt out of my Knight T-bolt.

8. Pirate

Pirate Spike

Aug 11, 2016
    NC
    Barnes TEZ 250 grain best I have found.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  9. flyingnectar

flyingnectar 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2014
    Metcalfe County
    Barnes makes a great bullet love it! I’d check them out. Blackhorn powder works great for me

10. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Most devastation from a muzzleloader was a 350 grain TC MaxiHunter LHP over 110 grains of Pyrodex...actually easy to load and a wound channel you can stick your arm through (make sure nothing is behind your deer unless you plan to take both or more)... The only catch is that the trajectory is terrible beyond about 75 yards... This would be my go to ElK and Bear load though...It is also NOT easy on the shoulder...

250 grain Shockwave over 100 grains loose Pyrodex (my Fort Knox load)...extremely accurate out of my BearTooth Magnum (prototype CVA Wolf) at 100 yards (3 shots just over 1")...bullet performance is SoSo...every deer has died quickly but none were DRT though the longest recovery was less than 50 yds...no bullets have exited... I do tend to go for mid-shoulder shots...sabot is difficult to load after a couple of shots...

245 grain Powerbelt Aero over 100 grains loose Pyrodex...much easier to load...good accuracy out of my BearTooth (<2" at 100 yds)...SoSo performance on deer...every deer has died...one DRT (high shoulder / spine), one 100 yd recovery but next to no blood trail... My two NEW CVA Wolfs do NOT like this load--shots were everywhere...

250 grain Powerbelt Platinum over 100 grains (2 pellets) Pyrodex...bullet is a bit tighter to load...needed bullet starter...accuracy from the NEW CVA Wolfs were fantastic...hope to see what they do to deer soon...

295 grain Powerbelt HP over 120 grains loose Pyrodex (my father's load)...one large black boar, and a slew of deer...everything drops...performance seems to be better than lighter Powerbelt bullets but trajectory is not quite as good...his longest shot has been about 60 yards though in SE KY...

240 grain XTP with sabot over 120 grains loose Pyrodex...hard to load...I never got beyond that...

kyoutdoorsman, KYBOY and woodsman92 like this.
  11. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Hunting on knox with powerbelt platinum few years ago I shot and killed a buck that never bled a drop in his 75 yards. Ground was wet with a light rain, shot quartered to me and I put in the pump house. Cavity was full of blood with no exit at maybe 60ish yard shot.
    The year after that I missed a monster at 40yds aiming for the neck. Still have nitemares lol. Few minutes later I killed a decent buck that dropped on a 50+yard straight on shot. I retrieved that bullet an inch or 2 from exiting his arse.
    That ended my ML career. No confidence in em. I won't say for sure it was the all the bullets fault as my shot angles was less than great tho. Goodluck

KYBOY likes this.
  12. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Power belts have a reputation for exploding inside with no exit wound In fact its happened to me twice when i tried them. One dropped in its tracks and another ran maybe 50 yards. No blood trail, no bleeding from either entry wound. Both good shots.. Both bullets exploded inside the animal fragments everywhere.Did NOT hit the shoulder. Theres lots of speculation about driving them at high velocitys etc.. I stopped using them because of that and being real hard to load on follow up shots. They are extremely accurate though. Im not dogging power belts really(they killed both deer) but that was my exp with them. Im not the only one either..
    Every other deer Ive killed with a muzzleloader has been pass throughs with huge blood trails, though they never go far. Especially from my traditionals.

Munson likes this.
  13. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    I shoot 250gr Powerbelt Aerolites overtop of 2 white hots pellets. Amazing accurate load. In 5 different muzzleloader last weekend, none grouped bigger than 1.5” at 100yards. That’s with thorough swabbing between shots.

Mossy Oak Boykins likes this.
  14. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    250 grain Shockwave and 150 grains Pyrodex pellets out of a TC Encore. Aren’t the Shockwave and the Hornady’s the same bullet?

predator1 likes this.
  15. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    No I don't think they are. The sst acts more like a corelock bullet the shockwave stays together.