Muskie fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Dreamhunter, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Dreamhunter

Dreamhunter 8 pointer

Sep 29, 2013
    I was just woundering if anyone knows about Muskie fishing below the dam at caverun.can u get like a small tracker boat in the river.and any info on how the Muskie fishing there is and tips please thanks.

2. chris149

chris149 12 pointer

Jun 17, 2009
    KY
    You shouldn't have a problem with your boat as they have a boat ramp there. As far as Muskie fishing I don't know never been on the river before.

3. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Is there a good inexpensive rod and reel for musky

4. BThayer

BThayer Fawn

Jan 22, 2015
    I am also new to cave run musky fishing, I took a few trips last fall with no luck, but ill be back soon. I've found a lot of good information by "googling" "cave run musk fishing" etc. few decent videos on youtube as well. Most information on musky fishing anywhere can relate to cave run in some way. I always stop in to the "crash landings" bait shop for a few pointers too. Im sure other shops will give you advice as well. Good Luck.

5. BThayer

BThayer Fawn

Jan 22, 2015
    You get what you pay for from what I can tell. I bought an Abu Garcia 5600 with a heavy action ugly stick for around 80bucks at bass pro. few months later bought a used set up from a bait shop consisting of a Curado 300EJ and a custom musky rod, "blue grass Kentucky rattler" I think for around 250-280$ and its like night and day. I switch baits on my Kentucky rattler before I use the cheap set up for a quick change of lures. Not saying the cheaper set ups wont do the job, just makes the job a lot easier with a dependable set up. and with this type of fishing, that is very important. Hope this helps.

6. jmason98

jmason98 Spike

Jul 7, 2008
    Morehead,KY
    The southern Muskie fest is this weekend at the Morehead conference center. Should be able to get plenty of info there. I know a few guides that will be set up and would be happy to answer questions. Starts at 9am Saturday.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  7. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Message me

8. basshunter9239

basshunter9239 6 pointer

Dec 3, 2009
    The fish and wildlife start shocking musky in the tail waters this time of year, they usually take out anywhere between 30-60 from there to spawn with. They keep them for a month or so, then they release back I to the tailwaters. If you fish close to ramp, it might be slim pickings. Good fishing on down river but I wouldn't suggest going way down unless you know the river well.