Mushroom identification

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Kyhilltrapper, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Kyhilltrapper

Kyhilltrapper Fawn

Aug 31, 2019
    The hills
    image.png Hello,
    Can one of you fine fellers tell me what this is? I am having trouble posting other pic. I will try to post it below, I may have to resize it so bear with me. Thanks for any help.

Carl likes this.
  2. Kyhilltrapper

Kyhilltrapper Fawn

Aug 31, 2019
    The hills
    Here we go. I should have put something for size reference but did not think about it. They were small and growing on dead log.

Attached Files:

3. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    I couldn't tell ya what that first post in the snow is. The other "appears" to be oysters but you'd need more ID before consuming. Look up some other post on here recently that has oysters in them.

Bee likes this.
  4. Kyhilltrapper

Kyhilltrapper Fawn

Aug 31, 2019
    The hills
    Thanks for commenting. It was on the same log very close to the other, I am pretty shore it is the same thing. I just took a pic of the smallest one. I may give it a little time to grow then take some more pics. It is behind my house.

Carl likes this.
  5. Killroy

Killroy 8 pointer

Apr 18, 2007
    in a hospital
    Hmmmm. I'm not sure the round one on the tree is an oyster. And that stem in the snow is definitely not oyster like. Most oysters have little to no stem/stalk. I wouldn't eat it until I found something a little more identifiable. The gills in the snow pic do look like an oyster.

I am not an expert. I only eat oysters and morels because I am comfortable with both. And even then I only eat the oyster mushrooms that look perfect.

barney and Bee like this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm pretty sure that mushroom is from the genus Galerina. Some of which are very deadly.

7. Kyhilltrapper

Kyhilltrapper Fawn

Aug 31, 2019
    The hills
    Alright, thanks everybody.

barney likes this.
  8. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Underground Bunker in KY
    Hats off to Barney. He might have just saved a life.
    Don't ya just love this place? :D

9. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    it looks similar to the mushroom, hunted in april.. maybe the 15th. is a reason i dont hunt mushrooms. i think its the 1st rain, in april.. i never seen any of those when ice was on the ground.
    best i get my shrooms from the store..