Murray State

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by drakeshooter, Feb 27, 2015.

1. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I hope they go to the NCAA but should do well in the NIT if not.

Murray really needs to get in a better conference. Maybe the Sunbelt of Conf USA if they are still around.

2. One bid conferences. Lateral move at best. We went 4-0 in the MVC and they are a multi-bud league most years, so that would be best fit.

3. gung

gung 8 pointer

Jan 29, 2004
    Graves County
    They literally dropped the ball with 20 seconds on the clock.

4. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    Belmont made a goofy turnover just before that one. It was a great game from any standpoint.

5. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I think it would be great for UK and MSU to play a series of games over the next couple of years. Be a good game with 2 great KY programs. Of course it will never happen. Calipari is too scared of an early, non-conference loss. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    I see clearly how that would benefit MSU, but how would it benefit UK?

7. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.
    I'd be interested to know how you came to that conclusion. Kentucky played many of the top rated teams in the country in the pre-conference schedule.

8. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    I see no benefit for UK and BIG benefit for MSU. It's one of those nothing to gain, but all to lose situations, IMO. If MSU beats UK, they gain from that. If UK wins, what do they gain?
    The MSU fans certainly would like to see this happen, for obvious reasons, but I wouldn't look for it anytime soon.
    I feel the same about WKU and EKU, but we have had series' with both, so I might be wrong. UK didn't play UL for many years for the same reason. When they did play, and UL happened to be very good at the time, it helped bring UL into a whole different category of program...one which they have maintained reasonably well. Even today, I see little or no benefit to UK from starting this rivalry series. It put UL on the map..but they did earn a shot by being good for more than a season every once in a while. MSU has not proven to me to be near the same point yet.

What does MSU bring to the table, year in and year out? No school should have a rivalry with every team that would like to start one with UK.
    If MSU wants to run with the big dawgs, they need to join a power conference, for starters. When they do that, and contend within a big time conference..they will have earned discussion for a series with UK. But for much the same reason, not bringing much to the table, invites from power conferences aren't likely. Winning is where to start. Work deals with UL, IU, Memphis, and other second tier teams. Start winning those games and a power conference might take a look at some point. It's a good time to start IMO, as eventually, I think the NCAA will go away and there will be a handful of big conferences. They'll be looking for programs that can carry their weight, not perennial bottom feeders looking for a conference to carry them, though.

I'm all for seeing MSU do well but right now, it's like me screaming to nascar to let me drive this weekend.
    It might not take drastic improvement in sports to garner attention, as they are solid most years. As solid as they were this season, they got beat by Belmont! That would be an ugly loss on any tournament teams record that could be the difference in dancing or not. If they had a few wins over ranked teams, it might not hurt as much, but until they can schedule and beat some good teams, along with contending in their respective current conference, it's gonna be like it is. This year, Xavier was the closest thing to a power conference team on their schedule...they lost by 27. They didn't have anyone else that the committee would consider a big win, on the schedule. See where I'm coming from. Schedule some good teams, take your beatings while building a program, and start winning a few of those games. Then they'll have an argument for getting in without winning their very weak conference. They do this to themselves, unfortunately. I'd like to see them get in. They may even be able to pull off an upset this year...but I doubt it and they have zero good wins to boost their case.

9. possumal

possumal 10 pointer

Jun 21, 2007
    Nicholasville, Ky.

I was referring to your statement about Calipari being scared to play teams that could give UK a non conference loss. I see no evidence of that anywhere.

10. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    I was mostly kidding to get your alls goat a little. Just having a little fun and some of you guys swallowed the hook.

I do like seeing power teams like Kentucky play other, lesser teams within their own state. As was said, mostly benefits the kids from the smaller school.

11. mwezell

mwezell 12 pointer

Jan 22, 2006
    Auburn, KY
    Oh I would never take that as a serious statement unless you're from Indiana. :p

12. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    There's not much incentive for UK to play Murray. Why UK doesn't, I'm not real sure. We have played EKU, Morehead, and Belmont in recent years I believe. I think we've played whatever TN st tech middle valley teams are in the OVC as well. More often than not, those non-conference games are brought about by some relation on the coaching staffs more than the proximity to each other. There's a lot of money involved as well for the visiting team at Rupp. IIRC, Murray (or their fans) wanted UK to do a home and home series. That ain't happening.

In the Tubby or Gillispie years, a game with Murray (or any OVC team) could have been a potential loss in the non-conference. It's not really a threat these days. Like has been said, UK doesn't have anything to gain. Murray would probably be better off asking "what if" than they would be with a 45 point loss when it comes time for selection sunday.

13. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    If you are referring to the university, thems fightin words.[emoji16]

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Most don't realize this but Murray States coach Steve Prohm and Calipari have a good relationship with each other. Fact is Murray uses UK's practice facility when on the road playing teams like EKU or Morehead. This has been happening for a few years now.

Which back in December .... Calipari was in this area speaking at Marshall County high school and Steve Prohm was there giving his introduction . Seemed like there was a mutual respect for each other. Steve Phrom even jokingly stated that before anyone ask ..... no... Murray State doesn't want to play UK this season.

So ... honestly I believe a Murray State vs UK could happen at Rupp. But it's not likely to occur any time soon. I also don't think it's a case of one team is scared of the other. Early non conference games it could go either way and this year November was terrible to the Racers before things clicked. But there's been some recent past years that the Racers were up and UK was struggling early on.

Murray States downfall is their conference and while it's easy to say they need to join a power conference .. it's just not that simple. Which has nothing to do with being competitive.... I think they could play with anyone from this aspect but money wise and facilities concerning attendance would be an issue of getting in those conferences. It's just not a case where you join whatever conference you want ... it affects all sports and not that easy to meet criteria of the big 10... SEC... ect.

As such the OVC has been been a big part of MSU's tradition in athletics and Murray has been extremely dominate. But it is what it is. Most mid -major conferences are the same.... one bid schools.

Which I don't see this as an issue strictly with conference as it is with the NCAA in general. In any conference the outright conference champions as well as the winner of the conference tournament should automatically receive a bid. If it happens to be the same team then the runner up should get the automatic buy in the dance. To me that's fair and rewards teams on consistent results throughout their perspective season.

But that's just a pipe dream as the NCAA is more about whose going to bring in the most money to the tournament. Which I have no doubt some of these mid-majors would result to easy outs for some power conference teams and reflect on the overall competitiveness of the tournament as a whole. But one of the biggest down falls of the tournament is taking 6 plus teams out of certain conferences even though they have crappy records. It just reiterates that it's a money thing.

15. All I can do is shake my head at those who want to point their fingers at our schedule. First, if you are going to bring up November, then tell the entire story. We had two starters down with injury, an academic snafu that kept another out for two games through zero fault of his own. Not only that, I get irate when people point at our SOS, all the while their isn't one thing sporting or equitable about scheduling. Just ask UK about traveling to Robert Morris and then the rest of the big budget teams that buy a soft OOC schedule, then beat up in each other in conference, then point and say, "Well, yes we are 8-10 in the Big 12, but all our losses are from other .500 Big 12 teams. We gotta be more deserving than you!" If you can't go .500 in your conference you don't deserve to Dance. When we are all on a level playing field scheduling wise, then you can point to SOS. Until then the whole thing reminds me of the way blacks were treated during Jim Crow era. Separate but UNEQUAL treatment.

I don't care who you are, if you win 25 straight games and don't lose in the months of December, January and February, go 16-0 and finish undefeated in your conference and go 11-1 in true road games, you are one of the best 68 teams in college basketball and certainly more deserving than some 9-9 in the Big10 Indiana team.

BTW, anybody who dogs on a loss to Rick Byrd and his Belmont team has a low bball IQ. There is a lot more to knowing beans about the pulse of college basketball than catching a few UK games throughout the season. Belmont is pretty good year in and year out and Rick Byrd is respected by his coaching peers. Ask Roy Williams.