Murray Kentucky caves to the BLM

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JR in KY, Jun 26, 2020.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    DS, you have anything to do with this?? We know you are a big supporter of MSU.

Kentucky city passes resolution to remove Lee statue
    [​IMG]
    The city’s vote came at the request of Sherman Neal, an assistant football coach at Murray State University.(MGN)
    Published: Jun. 26, 2020 at 12:47 PM EDT|Updated: 41 minutes ago

MURRAY, Ky. (AP) - A western Kentucky city has passed a resolution asking county officials to remove a century-old Confederate statue from the community’s courthouse.

News outlets report the Murray City Council voted unanimously Thursday night on the resolution that asks Calloway County Fiscal Court to “expeditiously remove and relocate” the statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.

The city’s vote came at the request of Sherman Neal, an assistant football coach at Murray State University.

County Attorney Bryan Ernstberger has said he’s researching the issue and expects county officials to get community feedback before taking any action.

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    drove by it this morning. told my son it won't last long.

drakeshooter likes this.
  3. It’s not up to the city council it’s on county property, it is up to the Calloway County Fiscal Court and so far it’s staying where it is according to my sources. With that said I’m for moving it off our court square and over to Ft. Heiman on the east side of our county. I do have selfish reasons, this is about to destroy our basketball program, I won’t get into specifics but if it is still there when the season starts there may not be one for us. If a group of people in our community say the statue offends them then I believe them and I’m ok with moving it. It’s just a piece of marble and concrete to me. Not everybody agrees, in fact I hear it’s 5-1 in favor of keeping from county residents.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  4. BikerTrash22

BikerTrash22 Spike

Nov 18, 2015
    How much are you willing to give up to watch some basketball? Call their bluff, Im sure someone else will take their place!

5. I didn’t care one way or the other about it until it started to effect my basketball program, I bleed navy and gold the same way a lot of you bleed UK blue. Now imagine if Lexington had a statue of Lee in its town center and suddenly former UK stars in the NBA came out against it publicly the way Ja Morant did, and imagine Cal telling alumni behind the scenes that he and his entire staff are GONE if that statue isn’t removed, and UK’s official position was move it, and the Lexington Mayor and city council all wanted the county to move it AND Cal was having to re-recruit his current class AND his holdovers AND having his competition — Coach K, Self, etc — using it against him.....essentially killing UK basketball recruiting at a high level for years and years to come. It would be gone tomorrow.

6. hunt

hunt 6 pointer

Sep 29, 2015
    The Berg
    So,it was ok when he was in school there (getting every damn thing paid for),but since he's gone now,it's offensive? Screw him.

7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    We must unite and tell them we the people say no!
    Why do they get all the say?screw them this is our country and we are proud of our history good or bad! It's why we are the greatest country in the world.
    Damit we have to stop letting them walk all over us, it's up to us our government is the cause of it we will get no help from them.
    Let your voice be heard, they protest we protest, they don't even have to fight for it, it's as easy as crying like a baby for them.

8. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    So, you are okay with them removing this statue just so that the 'game will go on'? Thats the way i read this. If so, that is pitiful. Basketball really that important?

rabbit dawg, Winchester94 and hunt like this.
  9. Yes idgaf about that statue and brother IDGAF what you find “pitiful”. My toes are still tapping. I care about my Racer basketball team. Tell me if this was UK and Lexington we’d even be having this convo. It would be gone.

10. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    gone before Cal finished tweeting about it. that fast.

CRFmxracer and drakeshooter like this.
  11. Hell this is one of the few public venues I can admit I want it gone. Around Murray and my acquaintances and most of my buddies I’d be strung up lol.

12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Im fine with moving it if the community votes on it (democracy). Im fine with it in a museum. Im not fine with some communists defacing and destroying it.

13. Same. I hear from verified county residents he’s hearing 5-1 to keep it AND there’s a kentucky law about it as it’s listed in some historical preservation deal and by law can’t be touched unless said board releases it. I don’t see it going anywhere anytime soon, I just wish it was gone before it kills our program. That’s my only concern.

14. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    U of K, done drank the kool-aid,. i dont put much stock, as a place of higher learning.

RLWEBB, aaronc and Winchester94 like this.
  15. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    ....And just like that, they took a "knee".

Sure didn't take much.

00noturkey, dirtstalker and aaronc like this.