Mule Deer Hunting question!

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by F250Stroke, Jan 1, 2021.

1. F250Stroke

F250Stroke 10 pointer

Jan 22, 2007
    back in the woods you see
    I want to go on a western mule deer hunt, and on public land. Is there anyone who goes yearly? If so, any information would be appreciated!

2. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    @1wildcatfan could probably point you in the right direction

3. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    I’ve mulie hunted Wyoming and Colorado on public. Most if not all states are draw for mulie now. Look into Colorado. Some areas in Colorado when you put in you can draw with zero points. Of course the trophy units take several points but there is still good deer in others. Lots of good BLM land to hunt and national forest. Go to their fish and game page. It has lots of info on the units that are very helpful in deciding which units are easy and hard to draw a tag plus the success rates in each unit.

1wildcatfan likes this.
  4. redjackson

redjackson 8 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    Been wanting to do this myself or atleast start planning. Anyone have a rough price for doing this diy style? I know i can look it up just looking for friendly advise.

5. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    I'll point ya towards @littlebear

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    If getting 2-3 guys to go,that saves a bunch splitting fuel and food. That could be $2-300 a piece depending on how many split fuel and what you drive. A mulie tag in Colorado will run you about $400. If using an Atv you must get a permit for that and I think it’s about $25-30. We camp so we aren’t spending no $$ there. I like camping vs staying at a hotel, it adds to the hunt plus you camp in the area you’re hunting which is super nice. We have camped and rode 10-15 miles farther up the mountain into better mulie ground by Atv. I usually plan on $1000-$1200 that’s including tag and normally come back with money in my pocket. Lots of the mulie areas offer over the counter elk tags. So if you buy an elk tag also that will add another $660 to your total. Anyone can save enough in a years time to make a diy hunt work. Everyone should try and go at least once to see what it’s like. Once you find an area hunt it, learn it and you can get one. It may take a while or more than one trip out to be successful on a diy but the thrill of doing it and grabbing those antlers knowing you yourself made it happen is a great feeling.

7. redjackson

redjackson 8 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    Many thanks!!! I turn 40 next year and its getting time to do a few things id like to do.

littlebear likes this.
  8. CHL

CHL 10 pointer

Jul 14, 2008
    Central KY
    Start buying points in the western states (if you don’t already) as well if ya wanna chase really big Muleys. Continue applying and eventually you’ll draw some primo tags. Nothing better than chasing 180”+ Muledeer.

bondhu and redjackson like this.
  9. Zebulon Pike

Zebulon Pike Fawn

Jan 24, 2017
    While you’re building points in Colorado and/or Wyoming you can still go every year.
    Idaho offers over the counter tags. They went on sale on December 1st, so some units are sold out, but you can pick one up today and start planning on going.
    I drove out solo and hunted near Ketchum a few years ago. Spectacular trip. Millions of acres of public land, lots of campgrounds or dispersed camping on your own. Didn’t get a buck, but I would jump at the chance to go back.
    During this time, I have been building points and now have enough for anywhere in Wyoming and most of Colorado.

Good luck and enjoy your trip. Make this year, someday. It’s more cost effective if you have buddies, but if you have to go solo don’t let that stop you.

Keep us posted on your plan.

bondhu and redjackson like this.