Mr. Unfortunate Story (Mason Co)

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ClayDog, Nov 19, 2015.

1. ClayDog

ClayDog 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2005
    MAysville Ky
    The last three years have been a struggle in my neck of the woods. The bucks that I had on camera were young and the only one shooter I had disappeared oct. 26. Having already put 24 days in and now working 2nd shift at Toyota, my hunting days were becoming shorter and sleep even more shorter.. But I stayed persistent and hoped that the only shooter deer I had on camera made a critical mistake.. 31,1,2,3,4,5, days went on with minimal movement and no shooter.. My vacation started the 13th and I was off till the 16th.. Friday morning hunt was no good, but I knew staying all day in the stand would give me the best opportunity for a mature whitetail to make a mistake.. Butttt as the season had went nothing showed up.. Saturday came and left just like Friday. Sunday I woke up to a lit sky and the first thing that went through my mind was I'm late.. I rushed to the stand made it in by 655, as the morning progressed I noticed a deer across the creek running my way, as I observed her movement I was pretty sure she had been jumped.. Sure enough here came 4 hunters like a small army walking through the woods talking smoking and having a good ole time.. I knew my hunt was done for that stand.. Called my hunting partner I lease with and decided to go get breakfast and regroup for the evening hunt.. While we were eating her received a call from a friend and after a short conversation, he looked at me and said we have to permission.. I knew immediately where he was talking about.. A former farm that we had not hunted in 3 years do to some complications.. We knew the farm had been vacant that long, but we had no stands on the farm and knew any hunt would have to be on the ground.. We packed up from breakfast and quickly headed that way.. We were very familiar with this farm and knew that there was a lot of nice deer used it from hunting it the previous years. My buddy took a nice 9 pt off of in 2012 and I immediately knew were he was hunting. I decided to hunt in the edge of a small holler bunched up against a big wood line, hoping I could catch a buck cruising.. 115 I get settled, I decided to grunt and bleat a little, (I'm not a big caller and with buck/doe ratio I've had minimal success). After 20 minutes I had saw nothing, I had an idea. I noticed all the leaves around me, and though to use them to maybe create a more believable scenario.. After 2-3 minutes of grunting bleating and rustling leaves I sat still and listened.. I was suddenly startled by what I thought was a running deer behind me. I turned quickly to see what I'd heard. RACK, it took me by surprise, 20 yards head down headed directly to me on the ground. I automatically panicked, I thought he was going to run over me. I jumped up, and we saw each at the same time, he bolted, I started doing the infamous meh, mehhhh, mehhhhhhhhhh.. Finally he stopped, giving me 30 yard neck shot.. He dropped in his tracks, when I walked up to him I wasn't pleased with what a saw, an exit wound out his nose.. I know that every hunter wants to take an ethical shot, and even though I felt confident about my shot it was just not what I wanted.. It's my biggest deer to date.. Even though it was bitter sweet after putting in so much time on my lease farm.. It literally felt like someone lift 20 lbs off my chest.. I was very blessed to have parents that gave me the opportunity to do what I love.. And keep me away from terrible things that go on in our world today. My rough score was 140 1/8. image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. WILD

WILD 12 pointer

Sep 7, 2009
    hick town,ky
    Nice buck,congrats man..!

3. Dwayne

Dwayne 6 pointer

Jul 13, 2009
    Lewis county
    Awesome buck!! Congrats on the buck and a good job at adapting to the situation you had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

4. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    Great buck, what's the unfortunate part or it? Seems you just adapted and proved successful.

5. ClayDog

ClayDog 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2005
    MAysville Ky
    The unfortunate part was aimed towards the deer, he was at the wrong place wrong time.. Or maybe I was at the right place right time!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  6. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    You made the best of it,I think......Nice buck. Congrats

7. Daviessdeerhunt01

Daviessdeerhunt01 Spike

Mar 10, 2008
    Daviess County
    Great deer! Way to hang in there!

8. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
  9. Shaine1985

Shaine1985 12 pointer

Jul 11, 2012
    your moms
    Good story! Congrats!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

10. jshepherd

jshepherd 6 pointer

Nov 3, 2015
    Breathitt
    good deer, congrats

11. racsr

racsr 10 pointer

May 7, 2009
    morgan county ky
    Good buck Congrats!

12. bbhunting

bbhunting 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2012
    casey
    Awesome story and congrats on a awesome hunt and deer!