Mounts Destroyed

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by Chimpy, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    I have 20 deer heads, 5 turkeys, 11 ducks, 1 bobcat, 2 foxes, 2 squirrels, 1 coyote, 1 badger, 1 groundhog, and a sharptail grouse all in my condo. Starting about 3 years ago, I noticed certain mounts seemed to be losing their fur, or feathers. Upon closer inspection, I noticed tiny cocoon-like sacs on these mounts. I cleaned them off, only to find they had returned a few days later. I had an exterminator come out and examine them - took pics and samples. After these were examined by an entomologist, they were determined to be carpet beetles. I brushed all mounts with a wire brush, sprayed with the poison recommended, but they returned. I paid 1,000 to have my place heated to 150 degrees for 4 hours - thought it worked but I just found more damage after 9 months of no activity. I swear I keep my place clean! If I don't do something, all of m mounts are going to be destroyed. But I don't know what else to do. Any thoughts?

2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Remove all your carpet and start the exterminating process over again. How big is that condo?

3. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    Something tells me that dusting and rubbing boric acid will help.

4. Big Jo

Big Jo 6 pointer

Nov 27, 2011
    Stearns, Ky
    You need to take each individual mount outside put it in a plastic bag and spray raid in the bag then close it up for approximately 4 hours. Then take the bag off and groom them and then spray some protex mount care on them. This should kill them. Lots of work here!

5. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    heating the condo to 150 wont do anything for carpet beetles, that's a BEDBUG treatment. It will not work for beetles, don't know what PC company you used but they owe you some money back.

we used to deal with carpet, cigarette and drugstore beetles a lot , they love fur,feathers, wool and cotton.

clean everything and vacuum .
    PHANTOM aerosol is the best spray, use insecticide concentrations for a room treatment they hide in cracks and crevices as well as in the carpet and furniture.

these guys can help , you can do this yourself.. https://www.domyown.com/

Its not a matter of clean, I have seen filthy homes with no bugs and spotless ones infested with cockroaches. I did pest control so long I can smell the damn things.

Southpaw, Carl and barney like this.
  6. Regulator623

Regulator623 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2006
    Eastern Kentucky
    We're infested with the asian ladybugs, or at least that is what I think they are called...any proven remedies for getting of those %$&!! things besides vacuuming 20x's a day?

Junglekat likes this.
  7. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Dale gribble.jpeg

Brody, CRFmxracer, Feedman and 2 others like this.
  8. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    Thanks for the info. My condo is around 1100 sq ft. I tried the deer head in a bag with raid trick. When I opened it back up most of the hair had fallen off. What I was told was that it's the larva that do the damage. I guess the adults don't live very long, but when they lay eggs, the larva hatch and start eating. This has been a nightmare for me.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  9. Chimpy

Chimpy 8 pointer

Jun 29, 2004
    Wilder, ky, USA.
    I just had my carpet steam cleaned yesterday, hoping if the little bastards are in the carpet that will kill them.

10. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    May try bagging the mounts and take turns putting them in a deep freezer for a few days after you’ve got them out of the carpet.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  11. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    you can vacuum and then there is vacuum and maybe vacuum..
    I hate to say it but that's about it , if you can figure where they get in (good luck) make sure all crack and crevices are caulked and weather stripping is tight as well as all windows, they can also get in around Attic access doors.. They are not considered a harmful pest and just looking for a warm place for winter.

Regulator623 likes this.
  12. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    That will do it , takes about two to three days.

13. damon kustes

damon kustes 6 pointer

Jan 16, 2002
    louisville
    Will Permethrin SFR 36.8% kill carpet beetle larvae?

Answer:

Yes, Permethrin SFR 36.8% can be used for carpet beetle larvae. You will need to use 1 2/3 fl. oz. for each gallon of water to get a 0.5% ratio. When using this product for carpet beetles the label states to apply the spray evenly to rugs, carpets, along baseboards and edges of carpeting, under carpeting, rugs and furniture, in closets, on shelving, and wherever else these insects are seen or suspected. For the best control of immature stages, we recommend adding an IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) to your insecticide, such as NyGuard EZ1.

Answer last updated on: 06/12/2018

Was this answer helpful to you? [​IMG]
    Permethrin SFR 36.8%
    [​IMG]

14. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Dont do this if you have cats. It will fry a cats system.

15. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Were you able to save any?