mountain lions

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by lobuthunter, Aug 19, 2011.

1. lobuthunter

lobuthunter 6 pointer

Aug 18, 2011
    north logan
    has anyone seen or have any game cam pictures of any, i know someone who said they have a pic of one however i haven't seen it yet [​IMG]

2. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Do we have mountain lions around here?

3. lobuthunter

lobuthunter 6 pointer

Aug 18, 2011
    north logan
    idk i have heard several people say they think they have seen one before . so i thought that with all the cam. out in the woods now days some one mey have gotten something interesting

4. lobuthunter

lobuthunter 6 pointer

Aug 18, 2011
    north logan
    like i said some one has told me that there has been one caught on a cam in my area how ever i haven't seen it , i hope to soon

5. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    Please let us know if you get a picture. Funny that this has not been brought up before. Interesting thought.

6. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

Isn't there talk of having a short season for Mt. Lion?

7. Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk Fawn

Dec 24, 2010
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and Missouri have cougars, so I would be surprised if Kentucky doesn't have a few of em also.

8. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    It was discussed but they decided that timber rattlesnakes dropped from black helicopters would be more effective and help cut down on nuisance turkeys at the same time

9. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I'm hearing the federal boys at LBL have gotten tired of waiting for KDF&WR's to respond to the growing population of mountain lions there. Recreational use is down and most that normally hunt or use LBL are fearing for their safety. Many have decided to just not hunt there this fall....which is probably a good idea for a few years at least. Just not worth being mauled, ripped wide open & eaten...travelling to & from your stand...especially in the dark. Their telling everyone....theres no way to know your being stalked. You could just be walking along all happy-go-lucky....and wham...its all over with...shreaded to little pieces.

Heck...even with reports outside of LBL....on private land in state....with all the sightings.....I just dont know it wont be best to just skip hunting anything this fall. I know I wouldnt want to become the first KY mountain lion statistic...not over just trying to wack a turkey, deer or coyote. No sir...would'nt wont that...whole lot safer inside the house watching hunting on tv this winter.

I also dont know for sure what the feds are doing at LBL....but through the grapevine....I've heard their releasing armadillos by the thousands. Something about mountain lions have a fear of them...like a mouse to an elephant. Also heard....armadillos will attack & kill mountain lion kittens. Their hoping this will deter the mountain lions & control the populations quickly before too much economic impact is felt.

Sure hope their right.

10. 8&sand

8&sand 12 pointer

rattlers scare me to death! I'm done

11. Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk Fawn

Dec 24, 2010
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    The fear of cougar's is mostly imaginations gone wild. Kind of like being afraid of the dark you see. The cougar attacks upon humans are mostly taking place in National Parks where they lose their natural fear of humans.

12. big bubba t

big bubba t 10 pointer

Sep 4, 2004
    Waltersburg , KY
    This is an outright lie! Everyone knows that the climate out there on the "Island" is way too warm for Mt. Lions. Now if you had said Pumas or Jaguars it might have been more believable.

13. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

Anyone got any good cougar recipe's?

14. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Oh..but Mr. Bubba T..... these are not your normal run-of-the mill Missouri variety.

These are believed to have inhabited the deep SW United States and Mexico... also known in certain circles as the Tex-Mex cougar. They are very use to the arid..dry..desert like conditions...such as found on our "Island". They not only crossed the Tennessee & Mississippi rivers.... much of the population came south of the Rio Grande. A very...resilliant & quite ferocious species of mountain lion....and will flourish with the rest of our unique flora & fauna of the area. Their said to be almost invisible under the cover of the numberous palmettos and can survive for weeks on a diet of the many species of cacti we have.

I'm also reluctant to say this... because many non-residents may forgo future plans of hunting LBL if the word of the confirmed sightings leaks out. However... they really need to think of their own personal safety in a time like this. At least until the armadillos their releasing have a couple years to dispurce the multitude of cats out of the recreation area.

Heres a link to another thread on the subject .....

http://www.kentuckyhunting.net/forums/showthread.php?107341-Ky-Afield-Non-Game-Call-in-Show

15. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    i just hope for the childrens sake that their aint Any Of them black panthers Around. Heard it takes 2 armadillos to take down a black one.