Mother Nature....

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by nontypical2002, Apr 10, 2018.

1. nontypical2002

nontypical2002 6 pointer

Feb 26, 2006
    Mother Nature must be against turkey hunting this year....snow, wind and cold last weekend and 1-2" of rain possible this weekend. Are you kidding me!! Apparently there is a low pressure coming from the west which is going to hook up with the warm southerly flow of air resulting in....rain/thunderstorms all weekend. Who ticked Mother Nature off??

2. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

Yes, the forecast for Bracken County shows thunderstorms firing up mid-morning on Saturday and lasting until after dark. Sunday shows rain clear through until Monday.

My advice is to rig for heavy rain and go for it. Keep an eye on the radar and be ready to seek shelter. I've got a luxury deer blind about 300 yards from where I plan on starting out Saturday. I'll go there as the rain approaches. There are three old trees close by my turkey blind that all show signs of lightning strikes. They are all on the same fenceline. The last one got hit two years ago.

3. shaman

shaman 10 pointer

Guys! I've found a fix for our weather troubles. You know weather underground, right? Well, one of the things I've noticed is that it gives me a forecast for different weather stations, depending where I am on the property. When I'm sitting on the front porch, it tells me I'm in Berry, KY. When I am on the back of the house, it tells me I'm in Brooksville, KY. When I'm out on the property, it'll tell me I'm in Foster, Milford, Falmouth. You never really know.

So here's what I figgered out: If I don't like the forecast where I am, I just change positions around the house and then refresh the wunderground app. I just went from the back of he house (telling me I was in Foster) to the front (switched to Berry) and I got two whole extra hours of hunting before the thunderstorms hit on Saturday.

Yippeee!

4. bmason

bmason 6 pointer

Mar 31, 2006
    Last year, the weather stunk on the weekends.

5. bdbrown66

bdbrown66 8 pointer

Oct 18, 2013
    Not in my neck of the woods. The first 2 weekends, at least, were good.

6. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Yea i went and bought another blind yesterday so we would have a couple different setups this weekend. Plus my old one is about shot anyway. Prolly need to go buy some tie downs for the dekes this weekend too. May quick crete my hen decoy in the ground friday so it dont blow off this weekend. Haha

7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I remember it being cool close to cold some mornings but I thought it was nice too? I killed my only one last weekend in April mid morning and it was sunny and low 60s I believe. Dad killed opening morning and it was pretty nice. I’m in N Central KY.

8. No one has mentioned to check the tree you're going to set up on. Check the limbs above your tree. I had big limb blow down on an ash i always set up on. Check above your head!!!

9. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    Looks like next week is going to be windy why? Why? Why? I hate the wind.

BucksnBeards3 likes this.
  10. kill'n and grill'n

kill'n and grill'n Fawn

Apr 17, 2012
    Madison Co.
    I’ll be out there unless its thunder/lightning. Can’t kill’em from the couch. The state won’t refund me any “bad weather days” and I sure don’t want to eat any more tag sandwich’s lol

11. Randy1974

Randy1974 6 pointer

Apr 12, 2016
    I just think high wind is the worst condition to hunt in . my opinion weather. App is saying gusts from 20 to 30.

12. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    Wont even bother the birds this weekend. Not worth screwing them up! but I'm blessed with being able to hunt all next week!

13. BucksnBeards3

BucksnBeards3 6 pointer

Apr 9, 2014
    edmonson county
    I’m with you can’t stand deer or turkey hunting in high winds! Never have a lot of luck either.