most seen duck in central ky

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Jacobhwrd, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Is there a particular species that you all tend to see more in central and western ky? Do you have to have a mix of decoys (wood duck, mallard, teal...) or will ,for example, a canvasback land in a spread of mallard decoys?

2. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    6 mallards with a few on a jerk string and a pair of geese or black ducks on the outside edge covers most hunts in central. Depends on where you hunt though. Can use a diver spread on bigger water, or mixed species in areas with high concentrations of ducks if you do your scouting. Mallards, blacks and woodies on the rivers.

3. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Yeah just about all of my hunting will be on rivers. I am wanting to get into more wing shooting (ducks or geese) and trying to figure out what i need to get while everything is still on sale. Besides calls and decoys i have everything i need like decoy bags blind bags and the like. Thanks for the help.

4. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Full bodies on waters edge and/or on a sandbar add alot if it's a spot you are able.

Jacobhwrd likes this.
  5. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Ok I hadn't even thought about that. I will pick up some full body decoys too. I was reading about hunting land for ducks when the waters freeze up. Will ducks come in if geese decoy are in the mix and the same for geese and duck decoys?

6. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I usually have 2 landing holes in the field. One with a few ducks around it the other without. I've seen geese land in both but usually not by the ducks. I haven't got a ton of ducks in a field spread to be honest and dont hunt fields often either. Most of my fields are geese with a duck every now and again. Those rivers are where it's at if you can find an open section when everything freezes. Full bodies on ice in middle and sides, and floaters in middle.

Capttrae likes this.
  7. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    The Central part of Ky is very different than the Western part of Ky when it comes to seeing species of Ducks. YES you will see some different species of Ducks in Central,But not like you will in the Western zone.
    Mallards mostly in Central Blacks Gaddies Teal woodies and some Divers to.
    Just about ANY DUCK will come into a Mallard spread while hunting. It all depends on what you want to spend on Decoys. If you got the money Mallards, Blacks, mix good combo to have. But it is not about how many Decoys you have or species. It is about knowing the area ,How many Birds using the area.Where are they going feeding resting roosting. Your Decoy placement your calling will get you more Birds.
    If not knowing how to place Decoys or calling Ducks 100 Decoys wont help. Learn Decoy placement learn how to call to Ducks and you can kill many with 4 Mallard Decoys on the water. IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING A DOZEN MALLARDS DECOYS AS YOU LEARN THEN ADD TO YOUR SPREAD OTHER SPECIES DECOYS.

8. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Yeah the money isnt really an issue. The decoys dont really seem to be as expensive as i thought they would be. My crow decoys are are $20 each and i have about 2 dozen of those. The geese on the other hand seemed to be a bit more. I use FF decoys for crow do they make FF decoys for ducks? I have seen some for geese but not sure if you just have to flock the ducks yourself or if it really matters for ducks and geese. Thanks for all the info also. I have done some research on the internet and was blown away at everything out there. Most of it seems to be the same general information with a TON of personal preferences for smaller details. I am going to Gander Mountain and Cabelas on my way to Nashville this weekend so i might go ahead and pick up some decoys and calls while im there.

9. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    If money is no issue a dozen battleship higdon mallards, 6 battleship blacks, 4 pack of full body sleepers, 6 pack of full body feeders mallards and a jerk string rig will have you a very nice start. If you hunt with someone 2 jerk rigs even better.
    For geese full bodies big foot originals last and look great. A dozen is a good start especially for around a pond or if on a spot where small groups come in already. I'm not a killing machine but these are my opinions and work well for me.

10. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Higdon has fully flocked duck floaters.