Morels and other Spring mushrooms?

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by FOWLER2671, Feb 5, 2020.

1. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I have to admit that the Fall Mushroom thread helped me immensely!! Found my first oysters!! That said; I gave up on Morels a few years ago after spending almost a decades worth of seasons looking for them without ever finding the first one......

What are your tips etc?

2. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Man I don't know where you live. But if you know where mammoth cave is you can go there in the spring and find a few mushrooms. May not find a bunch everytime. But if you spend a decade there on public ground even you will find some morels. Ky is full of them. The biggest mistake I see people do is start too late every year. I live in south central and always and I mean always find morels before april. Normally find them atleast by the 20th of march under poplars on hillsides facing the east that gets decent sun.

Nock and FOWLER2671 like this.
  3. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Yea I think mammoth cave will give you a bag at visitor center. It’s a mesh bag so the spores can fall out.

4. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I do think my biggest issue has been bad timing.

I have always had a pretty sharp eye.

5. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    You live near umpteen thousand acres of mushroom spots.

FOWLER2671 and Bee like this.
  6. Where you mean, LBL? Fairly certain Fowler lives down here by me close to Murray is why I ask. I haven’t found first morel either but once turkey season starts I don’t go waking through woods except to hunt turkeys.

Carl and FOWLER2671 like this.
  7. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    I have found several patches over the past 30 years while turkey hunting private land. That includes my 1st morel find in 1990.

drakeshooter likes this.
  8. When I’m turkey hunting I’ve tried to look last few years but my mind is on birds.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  9. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 10 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Morel Mushroom Hunting in Kentucky
    Published April 25, 2019

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  10. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 10 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    This user has posted some good morel and other shroom hunting videos over the past five years, and based upon a few of his other videos may possibly be located in W. Kentucky at times while hunting them. It's worth looking at some of his other videos.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    FOWLER2671 likes this.
  11. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Watch it turn dry as a popcorn fart about the time they start to pop. Let's hope im dead wrong :D. Waiting patiently in this somewhat cold wet mucky mess of a winter is wearing on me and I'll whine if I want to!!
    A buddy mentioned the other day as I was on my winter sucks after deer season rant about how glad he was he didn't have to mow the yard tho... i replied yeah bro it sucks riding around in circles drinking beer listening to good tunes :oops::rolleyes:. Idk maybe im the weirdo but I hate leaving/getting home at dark