Morels 2016

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Happy Camper, Feb 9, 2016.

1. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    We generally only pick the small ones like these. Leave the big ones for seed...

[​IMG]

2. flyingnectar

flyingnectar Spike

Oct 30, 2014
    Metcalfe County
    Might I suggest a shitake log for you mushroom lovers. I have buddies that do it for fresh tasty mushrooms. I'm to busy this spring but I'm going to try and inculcate logs maybe next year.

Hope we have a good forage spring. Always great when the woods gift us with good food.

3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've never gone and looked for them. I've stumbled up on a few while turkey hunting. What kind of places do you look for them in?

4. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    bg, I noticed that you hunt the MCNP area and I find a lot of morels in that part of the state. I find almost all of my blacks and smaller yellow, white, greys (deliciosa type) on north and east facing hillsides of poplar and hickory. The bigger yellows (esculenta type) grow in completely different environments. I find those primarily in creek bottoms near sycamore & ash and also under cedar away from the creeks.

5. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    I have found them in alot of places. But the best places I have to hunt them that produce every year are on hillsides facing the east around poplar and ceder trees. I will start looking here in just a few weeks if the weather doesnt stay too cold. There is several good articles on the net if you search but I have found that alot of it has to due with soil temps/moisture. Year after year the same spots I have always produce. Some years better then others. Also the years we have above average snow fall seem to produce a little better.

6. Farrier85

Farrier85 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2015
    I promise you one thing if you want to just spend hours in the woods not finding crap, then you should come with me shed and morel hunting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    LOL. That's kinda what I thought would happen if I went.....

8. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Are they prevalent in Owen, franklin, Henry counties in anyone's experience? I understand they like dead ash trees and they are pretty much all dead in Owen from ash bores.

9. baknblack

baknblack 10 pointer

Jan 30, 2014
    Mt Washington
    Friend of mine found a crap load in Henry last year. In a mature cedar thicket.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

10. Nock

Nock 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2012
    butler co
    Poplar and pig nut hickory are my favorite. Have found them in cedar thickets also.

11. Rheath

Rheath 8 pointer

Feb 18, 2010
    Owen County
    Thank you. This will be my first year. Is there a magical date that you guys start looking? My research says April 15th +/- a day or two.

12. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    Good info but I would recommend checking this site and the morels.com site to see when reports of early finds are posted. My 1st find of the blacks is usually before 4/7.

13. Brutus Hedgeapple

Brutus Hedgeapple 10 pointer

Jul 30, 2002
    South Central Ky.
    Even though I have found them in the last couple days in march, my magic day has been april 1. I look a little prior due to cabin fever but I don't get seriuos till the 1st.

14. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I found mine last year April 10. But the bloom was last week of April through first week of May. I think it would've lasted longer but it turned off dry and hot.

15. J_Shockey

J_Shockey 6 pointer

Sep 6, 2010
    Madison co.
    I've only been at it for a few years, the best I've done on black morels is after the first week of April. Also, the most productive spot I have is a south facing hillside, which according to everything I've read isn't normal, so they just seem to happen where they will. There are a lot of poplar trees on said hillside though, a few hickory as well.