More than 3 rds. in shotgun for varmints?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Dust, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Dust

Dust Fawn

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfort, Kentucky
    After moving to KY, and looking into the laws, I was suprised that the shotgun is limited to 2+1 for anything and everything. Does anyone want to use more than 3 for crows, coyotes, etc?

2. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Sure just leave the plug out an you can get 5 in there an have plenty of fire power.

3. Dust

Dust Fawn

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfort, Kentucky
    Feedman, it’s my understanding that 2+1 is the law for everything is it not?

4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Maybe. I don't know.

5. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Helpful post.

Only way you can hunt without a plug, is deer hunting with slugs, or snow goose hunting in the spring. Everything else is only 3 shells

6. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    A 30 round AR mag is OK. More than 3 rounds in a shotgun not so much. Pretty strange. Time to change things in Frankfort me thinks.

7. Dust

Dust Fawn

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfort, Kentucky
    This was my thought. I understand obeying federal laws for migratory. Not a problem. But I can use a 30 rd mag full of 260 that will travel miles, but hey, hold up there. 100 yards? Gonna stop you at three.

8. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Yeah you are allowed only 3 round max in a shotgun for anything in this state. I have been complaining about that for a LONG time. I can take a 60 round drum in my AR no problems but not have a 4th shotgun shell on something with NO limits or closed season. Same for crow. Its dumb. I am sure old timers or dumb people will try and claim poachers or fair chase or something dumb like that but it really is dumb

9. Dust

Dust Fawn

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfort, Kentucky

Jacob, please don't take this the wrong way, but how have you been complaining? Writing FW, contacting local representatives, etc.?

10. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    lol no just complaining about it to other hunters. I have been trying to get the regulations changed for crow hunting here for about 2 years now. Most people I talk to in Frankfort don't even know we have a season let alone what the dates are. I have even talked to the assistant "commissioner" (cant remember his title) of Alabama to see how they have gotten around the the federal regulations. I talked to several people in Frankfort and NONE cared. They would blurt out the same stuff and you could tell they just wanted off the phone.

11. Dust

Dust Fawn

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfort, Kentucky
    I'm going to check crowbusters and crow hunting addicts to see what people in other states have done. The federal law has to be obeyed, but I don't know how many will prosecute for violating. Some states have all year on certain days, etc. If you don't mind, are you running and gunning, or setting up a decoy spread? Send me a PM if you don't want to discuss here.

I have been out to TN Sullivan calling a few times, but I am a long time dove hunter, and crows don't move like they do. It's going to take me a while to get my eye in.

12. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Yeah I have been a few times in TN. My brother lives just outside Nashville in Franklin. Their season is open most of the year but they do that by only allowing it on Friday Saturday and Sunday. That would work 99% of the time unless I'm hunting on a holiday. Small price to pay in my book. Alabama has NO closed dates. They limit the amount of days you can hunt to the federal limit but YOU get to choose what days out of the year that is. Federally you can go up to 124 days a year. Even the most avid hunter will never get close to that on any game animal. They also don't have limits on the amount of shells you can have in your gun. BUT you can not take any other game birds with that gun or else they will through the book at you. The federal regs are really slim. The biggest restrictions they have are 124 days a year and you cant hunt them while they are nesting. I was told by the people in Alabama that they get around that by considering any crow in the air as a bird that is committing depredation or on its way to commit it.

13. Valley Station

Valley Station Cyber-Hunter

It is legal to hunt deer in Kentucky with a shotgun slug, with the plug out, during the firearms season. Not restricted to 3 rounds. No more than ten rounds in a weapon. However, Plug is required at Ft Knox for deer. All other hunting-fur bearers, small game, waterfowl require plug.

14. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    You can hunt without a plug on crows, doves, rabbits, quail, etc if you are willing to face the consequences when caught by the game warden.

15. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Another helpful post...