More days for youth

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by mudhole crossing, Feb 6, 2021.

1. hoene

hoene 10 pointer

May 8, 2012
    Northern Ky
    I hope he is taking his kids hunting.LOL

Timholt70 likes this.
  2. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    What’s coming?

3. Ash12

Ash12 10 pointer

Oct 21, 2007
    While I certainly appreciate the original poster wanting more opportunities for youth, I must say this.... How many of you hold biology degrees? I certainly don't, and I am going to leave it up to those who do (KDFW staff) to determine season dates and lengths etc. IMO we have some pretty darn good hunting in this state, and that is a direct result of their continued oversight. Have any of you ever thought about it? We can coyote hunt year round if we want, and we can deer hunt from September to January. Add in some upland bird, waterfowl, and small game hunting etc and your year is pretty darn stuffed with outdoor activities! And that is not even mentioning fishing or hiking!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  4. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    . While I agree with what you typed, I've killed about 50/50 1st week vs last week. Even though birds are henned up early, I've killed a bunch of opening week birds by setting up and having them fly down in my lap. As for late season, I have probably killed at least half of my mature toms the last weekend of season. If I get a bird to answer mid morning late season, I feel confident I can kill him. That's not even close to the case early season. Early season you have a lot of birds gobbling at you as they walk the opposite direction ...... with hens in tow !!

rockhousehunter and Feedman like this.
  5. Jay Blankenship

Jay Blankenship 6 pointer

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    My apologies

The state of OH has just recently changed hunting times.

for years. Our 4week season was from sunrise to noon the entire hunting season

then it was changed to the first two weeks of season hunting hours were from sunrise to noon and the last two weeks of season was all day hunting.

The state of OH has changed the hunting hours yet again with our hunting hours now being the first week of season hunting hours being sunrise to noon. Snd the last three weeks of season being all day hunting.

our season bag limit has never changed and remains at 2bearded birds which IMO is more than enough.

sorry for the confusion and hope this answers your questions.

6. Jay Blankenship

Mar 22, 2018
    OH

Some the biggest spurs bird we have harvested has come on the last day of season. 1-1/2” and 1-3/8” spur type birds.

7. Drewbays

Drewbays Fawn

Nov 29, 2016
    No and a big hell no take the youth when the seasons are in they don’t need a special season to go hunting if anything this is exactly what makes it tougher to hunt anything during the regular season the weekend before muzzleloader season these guys are girls that take their so-called kid out and shoot up the woods and alert everything screws up the whole entire process take your kids during the seasons that are already in place and quit messing it up for everyone else I’m all for taking kids hunting believe me I know they are the future however quit jacking it around for everybody else I got a neighbor that has a kid that’s been 10 years old for 15 years shits got to stop.

8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Is this him?
    [​IMG]

9. bowhunter269

bowhunter269 12 pointer

Nov 21, 2006
    Fisherville, KY
    Tell us how you really feel about the youth hunts........don't sugar coat it :) !!

hunt likes this.
  10. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    If he has done this for 15 yrs and u knew it, then u f/u for the last 15 yrs.

11. Jay Blankenship

Mar 22, 2018
    OH
    I’m really suprised to have read some of the posts on this thread and topic....,.

12. ChrisInKY

ChrisInKY Fawn

Nov 7, 2019
    Fort Knox
    Yep. Seems like there's always somebody trying to get a leg-up on someone else ... and other people who don't like it one bit.

13. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    The regs won’t be changed anyway so it don’t matter. Tired of this wintertime crap so come on spring!

hoene likes this.
  14. RKF11

RKF11 8 pointer

Apr 9, 2010
    Southeastern KY
    I would be for more days for youth only. Like said though I do take mine a lot during the regular season with me. Over the past 6-7 yrs my own season has taking the back burner to get them out more and give them the opportunity. It’s what I live for now during season.
    Before they aloud youths do use crossbow from beginning of archery season I would send DNR an email almost weekly to try to get it changed. I didn’t think it was right they should have to wait till Oct 1st to hunt when they are the future of the sport.
    They should have the first opportunity period.

dirtstalker and Jay Blankenship like this.
  15. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’ll just say this:

At this point, the future of the sport isn’t just youth. We’ve got to keep the hunters we have, try to wrangle back the ones we lost and continue to introduce youth.

TBo and Munson like this.