Mora knives

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by chadwimc, Feb 3, 2020.

1. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    Anybody that uses Mora knives knows how fast they can rust. I added a protective coating to mine using apple cider vinegar. Just soak the knife in boiling hot vinegar for 5 minutes at a time. These took three soaks to make them almost blue like a gun barrel. We'll see how long it holds up with use...
    mora knife2.jpg
    mora knife3.jpg mora knife4.jpg

mora knife5.jpg

2. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Do you know the chemistry behind whats going on here? I never hear of this.

3. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    I ain't no chemist(or English major...) but... And I don't know if this is the exact process that happens with vinegar, but vinegar is an acid.
    Russetting techniques use the natural oxidizing properties of iron and steel to form a surface layer of red rust, also known as hematite (Fe2O3). Somewhere along the way, it was discovered that boiling parts during the russetting process added enough activation energy to convert hematite (red oxidation) to the deep blue-black magnetite (Fe3O4). This process became known as rust bluing. Rust bluing created a deeper, harder finish that was more scratch resistant and less susceptible to rust in common use. The deep black color produced was very attractive as well and lent itself to use in commercial and military production.

TripleGee and kyoutdoorsman like this.
  4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I squirrel hunted with a fella yesterday that had a Mora like that orange handle job you posted. I was going to patina my Opinel No. 7, but instead just cut some meat and citrus fruit. It seems to be holding up.

5. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Interesting...
    Let us know how it holds up

6. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    My cousin saw this and tried it. Put strips of mustard on it after the 1st or 2nd dip and tiger striped the blade. Turned out pretty cool.

7. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Very interesting. Never heard of this actual technique. Have watched some videos of rust bluing gun barrels and such, but they all used some fancy equipment and chemicals.
    Your technique seems pretty simple.

8. chadwimc

chadwimc 10 pointer

Oct 29, 2004
    It would have to be simple for me to pull it off:p
    Besides that, the lass in my avatar is *NOT* going to allow jake leg chemistry experiments on her kitchen counters. Me and the kids learned that the hard way doing school projects.

9. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield

I saw the Opinel No. 8 recommended on a wood carving forum/thread somewhere the other day. I had never heard of them.....apparently made in France,...I did some reading,...seem to have a strong following.

KY Swamp Beagler likes this.
  10. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    They were originally a peasant’s knife. But there’s something about the simple, straight forward design that is appealing.

I gifted one of the carbon blades to my brother one year and then he gifted me one back - said they are such a good knife I ought to have one, too. I carry it and a Swiss Army knife daily.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    aaronc likes this.
  11. Munson

Munson 12 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    The way the knife fits in its sheath and not come out is another thing I like about em. It doesn't require a strap etc to hold it and to remove just grab the handle and push down/ away with your thumb and it pops right out. Pretty nifty that it clips on just your pants pocket without needing a belt too. Makes it handy when working up meat where there isn't the comforts of home to lay stuff down and misplace it for 10 minutes lol.
    Im gonna try this vinegar trick when "round to it" ever gets here:)

12. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    20200205_014009_copy_979x1305.jpg
    Ive got a permanent "round to it" lol.

carnivore, bowhunter269 and Munson like this.
  13. KY Swamp Beagler

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Interesting videos...on Mora knives...a rather salty old codger, but I enjoy the hell out of his videos.

14. Tankt

Tankt 6 pointer

Dec 26, 2019
    Kentucky
    I have an old Camillus knife that feels great to use but it will rust overnight even after cutting pigs up. I am definitely gonna try this.
    Great thread!

15. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    What is the model numbers of the mora knifes that you have posted