Moment of weakness.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Oct 13, 2019.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have shot a couple lone fawns that size over the years..... Shot one in early October in late 80's.... Tied it's feet together and carried out over my shoulder. It was incredible....

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I miss that long blonde hair.......

3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Jun 19, 2015 · Fawns can be completely weaned and survive without milk by 10 weeks of age (2½ months), but does often wean them at 12 to 16 weeks (3 to 4 months). It's not uncommon for hunters to see a May or June born fawn still nursing, or attempting to, in October (20-plus weeks).

4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've watched them nurse. Got pics last week of one nursing, and pics of some still covered in spots.....

muddhunter likes this.
  5. bstickin1

bstickin1 6 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    Fawns will nurse as long as moms will tolerate it, the same as every critter including humans and I'm sure like humans some doe moms will tolerate it longer than others. Heck, my mom used to say I nursed until I was 4 years old, I'd just smile and say... I still haven't stopped. I've seen does still have milk in January that had big fawns with them.

bgkyarcher likes this.
  6. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    You remember my wife's long blonde hair... Nearly as long as your's! lol

7. bstickin1

bstickin1 6 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    Yep, sure do. Pretty lady. Hey, did you get my message on here?

8. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    More often than not my does are with fawns. If the fawns look small or frail ill wait a month, usually gives mom some time to fatten up too. I like fat happy deer!

mallardkiller and bgkyarcher like this.
  9. invasion36

invasion36 8 pointer

Aug 29, 2013
    Kenton Co
    If you have been reading the other topics, my wife harvested her first deer ever this weekend. We have a big ol doe with a single fawn that My wife has told me and my boys that is off limits. She walked up on this fawn bedded down when it was first born in our make shift driveway at the time earlier this summer right after it was born. Maybe a few hours old. Later that day we saw it with its momma and it was walking all wobbly. Whenever we would be out there through the summer we would see them cross our field and got to watch them by cell cam all summer. Saturday evening guess who steps into beans. First thing she said was that’s momma and baby. They also have last years doe with them. I told my wife to shoot it. However she quickly found out how smart those big does are and she new something wasn’t right. Saw my wife in blind blew and ran. I told her that’s what they do. They are constantly looking for danger. Luckily a loan doe stepped out a little later and she harvested that one. No milk at all. Me personally I will not shoot a doe With one fawn unless it has a running mate. I’m kinda a big softy too.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  10. dabassking

dabassking 6 pointer

Sep 16, 2015
    Central KY
    I’ve shot plenty of does with fawns but not if the fawns still have spots. Their momma gets a pass until they get a little older.

The only deer I’ve let walk based on sentimental reasons was a doe that I feel was a fawn of a doe I shot the year before. At this one particular stand, I shot a doe on opening morning of bow season that had a fawn with her without spots. For the next 2 years, I would occasionally have a lone doe show up and she always looked a bit lost and was not very smart. I always got the feeling that she was the fawn I orphaned so she got to walk every time I saw her.

11. rlb165

rlb165 10 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    We used to be able to tell when our neighbors killed a doe with fawns during the early season.
    We had a corn pile we could see from the house. If we started seeing fawns come running to the corn in the middle of the day, we knew their mama was out of the picture.

12. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I shot a fawn first day of bow season one yr. it’s spots were almost faded out on its hind end. Let me tell u it was delicious; but in my opinion not worth the life of a deer for the amount of meat on it. I don’t shun nobody for taking one, but I prefer not to anymore.

13. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    Why shoot the fae

14. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn

Mar 4, 2009
    Bracken County
    It's all how you fix people that shoot fawn are dumb

15. deerhunter24

deerhunter24 Fawn