Moment of weakness.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter99, Oct 13, 2019.

1. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Ever chose not to shoot a deer?
    I've passed deer before but this one hit me in the feels cuddling with it's baby while in range.
    She was super tweaky too so that helped me pass. Double throat patch with a mane to boot!
    Just didn't want to murder her in front of her baby. Mom moment.

2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I've shot does with fawns. I've also let them pass. Kind of depends on what I think at the time.

kyhunter99 and EdLongshanks like this.
  3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That’s a fair decision. No shame in it. No shame in shooting them both either.

4. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Your choice,nothing wrong with that at all.

kyhunter99 likes this.
  5. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

I thought about that too.

6. mac0492

mac0492 8 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    I passed two does yesterday who both had fawns with them. I decided to let them both go since were obviously good enough mothers to get their fawns that far without predators getting them. I think I’m committed to only shooting does who don’t have a fawn with them. We don’t have an abundance of does right now anyway though.

7. Bubbles

Bubbles 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    I understand your sentiment about shooting does with fawns and worrying about the fawns being by themselves. That's why I just harvest the whole family unit lol.

8. Recurve77

Recurve77 8 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    I’ve struggled with similar situations over the past 30 years myself. I’m the proud father of identical twin daughters and an equally proud grandfather of identical twin grandsons. Back in the 80’s I killed a doe with twins. She died balling and the twins came back as this was happening. I climbed down and walked up to her and the twins just stood there 20-30 yards away. Guys, I wept like a baby! Since that day I have taken many does but they were either alone or had a single fawn. Haven’t shot a doe with twins since that day.

Todd H, JR in KY, iwuvhunting and 4 others like this.
  9. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    If they got babys they get a pass here...i killed a big ole doe had a fawn it set and watched me gut her and followed us out dragging her....1 week later was still bedded under my stand....they get a pass...call me weak whimp whatever.

10. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Nothing wrong with passing. I rarely take a doe anymore but sometimes if someone needs a deer. Back when I liked shooting does ,I would pass if fawns were with her. I did shot a couple that had fawns and it was sad seeing them just stand around wondering what just happened to ole mom. So I stopped shooting ones that had fawns with them. The neighboring farms normally control the doe population around where I hunt anyways.

11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’ve never shot one when I could see a fawn with her. However, I’ve seen a few fawns born early be pretty good size and no spots by late October/November and if they are big enough to stray away from momma they are perfect meat deer. Really old does are the best to pass on and 1.5 -2.5 are the perfect table fair. Those old ones have mastered the art of bringing up younger ones year after year.

kyhunter99 and Ataulbe1 like this.
  12. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

I think all the does I've taken have been maidens and the previous years fawns. The perfect harvest imo

xbokilla likes this.
  13. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

This doe was super vigilant. It took her at least an hour to travel 100yds. She scanned and waited, took alot of care. The other 3 she was with took her lead. I imagine if the button takes after her he may reach a good age.

14. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I've had some serious tear-jerking moments with shooting does with babies.... I'm a big softy... I tend to not choose that option....

davers likes this.
  15. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Yep y’all are weak. I’ve shot them gettin milk before.

Munson, hunt, Meatstick and 2 others like this.