Mock scrapes

CABNER

Fawn
Nov 16, 2011
I was wondering if it would hurt to make some mock scrapes now, or would this maybe spook some does in my area. Thanks for the help guys.

Justsaying

8 pointer
Jun 22, 2012
NOYB
While hunting last Sunday I came across a scrape so I would say go for it. I plan on starting one as soon as the wind is right to hunt the stand I want to start one at. During the season I don't enter the woods except to hunt. I check cameras and such only on the way to or from a hunt.

CSS archer

BBBC Members
Dec 13, 2001
Central KY
Here are pics from 3 mock scrapes I made:
2012_930_zpsb7c033da.jpg

2012_1004_zpsb1dd9160.jpg

2012_955_zpsa481a615.jpg

2012_953_zpsf62caa9b.jpg

Now for the next 3-4 weeks are the best...

bigpuddin43

12 pointer
Feb 21, 2007
bucktown
I tried 5-6 last week and they are working a couple of them. I just raked back the leaves and sprayed some buck urine on the ground. I know cssarcher just uses his own urine but I knew I was gonna be doing 6-8 and didn't figure I had enough beer in me yet to have to piss that much.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

dxtsniper

12 pointer
Nov 7, 2009
Turn around!
I tried 5-6 last week and they are working a couple of them. I just raked back the leaves and sprayed some buck urine on the ground. I know cssarcher just uses his own urine but I knew I was gonna be doing 6-8 and didn't figure I had enough beer in me yet to have to piss that much.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I thought it was cause you always sit when you pee! JK.
Been starting a few with my own brand but haven't seen much yet.

CSS archer

BBBC Members
Dec 13, 2001
Central KY
really uses his own piss?

Yes, I don't hold it or pee in a bottle from a treestand either.

If you really want a good "lure" get some tarsal glands from another buck - strange farm, and pee on them in a bucket, then pour your lure into a bottle for scrape freshening.. Any buck that smells it will come stick his nose on it... cheaper than tinks and better results..

tyshe17

12 pointer
May 4, 2007
Yes, I don't hold it or pee in a bottle from a treestand either.

If you really want a good "lure" get some tarsal glands from another buck - strange farm, and pee on them in a bucket, then pour your lure into a bottle for scrape freshening.. Any buck that smells it will come stick his nose on it... cheaper than tinks and better results..

Great advice. I'll be hunting me up some before I go to Indiana. I want to make a couple to put cameras over up there the first of Oct to try and figure out what is around on the new piece of ground my FIL has.

I've had mixed results with making mock scrapes, but am going to try some of my pee, this and the drippers this year.

tyshe17

12 pointer
May 4, 2007
BTW last year I was about 80% at bringing deer that had previously walked off back into sight by peeing from my tree.

woodsandwater

6 pointer
Aug 20, 2008
You guys have luck making scrapes anywhere? Or just close to used trails, feeders, etc.? Thinking of making on down the hill from the Stand in a lane
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

CSS archer

BBBC Members
Dec 13, 2001
Central KY
There has to be an overhanging branch, I sometimes extend a branch by cutting another one and zip tying it to where I want to put the scrape. the limb needs to be about 4-5 feet from the ground..

Flat areas on logging roads, benches, woodland trails, field edges, places you expect to see a scrape later in the year..

Latest posts