Mission Accomplished

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Tman6493, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Finally!!! Things have started working out. Story to come later but for now here it is. My most expensive piece of meat, hardest animal I’ve ever tried to kill, only animal that has caused my girlfriend to complain about where the heck I’ve been these last 2 weeks.......MY FIRST DUCK!!!
    upload_2019-12-28_8-18-54.jpeg

HCDH66, Wampuscat, Nock and 22 others like this.
  2. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    Now I can’t decide if I want him mounted or not. Only get the chance to mount your first bird once I guess

3. nat103

nat103 Spike

Jan 30, 2019
    Kentucky
    Congrats!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  4. Giveem3outdoors

Giveem3outdoors 12 pointer

Jan 18, 2009
    ohio county ky
    Congratulations your ruined now.

5. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    A real trophy Mallard! Mount it up, he'll score good. Congrats

6. bird whisperer

bird whisperer 10 pointer

Aug 16, 2012
    Hog Town USA
    Congrats! Hard decision to make there. Like you said you only get the chance to mont the first one once.

7. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    I’ve been doing some research but have no personal experience obviously. Can anyone recommend the best taxidermist and price. I live in louisville but don’t mind driving. Wanting to find a permanent guy for the future

8. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Damon @ Sportsman

ukyager likes this.
  9. Tman6493

Tman6493 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2013
    Louisville
    So here’s the full story. It’s been a tough hunting season for me. Shot a deer that for sure died earlier this season but made it onto property I didn’t have permission to go on. Then just a few weeks ago killed my first duck that I couldn’t recover from it being a cripple that got lost in brush . So I was really beating myself up. Confidence was low.

then out of nowhere I meet 3 guys through work that are big hunters. They seemed trust worthy so I offered up my boat and camper if they would help me get on ducks. So for the last few weeks we have been on ducks but it’s been more like scouting then hunting. We have a few WMAs that we have been on ducks but come morning either weather or other people haven’t been on our side. Got set up perfect a few days ago on a place we seen over 200 and shooting light was at 7:25. We had paddled in over a mile into some flooded stuff to get set up and at 7:20 a group of 7 people(illegal) came in and set up within 100 yards of us. They called at everything that looked like it was coming to our spread and scared them off pretty much. But the good thing is the group of guys have turned out to be good people so even with a bad start to the season it’s cool I’ve made new friends that seem like they will be life long friends.

Fast forward to today I have learned enough over the last few weeks that it finally worked out. Went for a solo hunt on a pond I knew a few birds were hitting right at day light. All things that I have screwed up over the last month I corrected. Set up right with the wind, good concealment, called once to get attention, remained calm, then it was wing tips down and the adrenaline kicked in but finally dropped one. Then it just started to work. Ended up with 4 by the end of the day. I’m not used to being the new guy or doing new things but man this stuff is addicting and I can say for sure that next year 95% of my vacation will be based around January chasing ducks.

HCDH66, kyhunter99, Capttrae and 2 others like this.
  10. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Damon has done many of my Ducks and for my friends to. One of the best. Don't know or not I haven't checked. He told us last year once he got caught up with what he had. HE WAS DONE. Not going to do any taxi work. So might need to check.

11. nat103

nat103 Spike

Jan 30, 2019
    Kentucky

4?! That’s awesome!

12. ukyager

ukyager 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2005
    KENTUCKY
    Need to know this answer, got a couple or Ross geese I planned to take him...

13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I got a banded Ross and a Barrowed Golden eye Drake I need to take. My buddy who takes everything to him said last time he talked to Damon he was getting out of the business. That was back in the spring. I guess need to call and see.

14. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    OK I went to his face book page here is what I found. Looks like he is still doing Bird mounts.

Sportsman's Taxidermy LLC
    November 25 ·
    Hope everyone’s deer season went well
    (mine did , hunting in that snow was a blast!)

Duck season opens Thursday

Don’t forget....

I haven’t retired from mounting birds.

Give me a call if you need any waterfowl mounted

Call or text anytime 502 493 7787

ukyager likes this.
  15. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Yea, he is still at it. Very good!!