Missed Oppurtunity

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
Went this morning and started with female invitation howls at daybreak. Within 5 minutes heard crunching in the snow from the same direction I walked in. Obviously, I wasn't expecting that so I had to turn to look. Saw a good sized coyote working its way around the hillside. I tried to turn and get a shot, but with that much movement and the pace he/she had I couldn't get a shot. It feels good knowing I'm doing something right getting them to come in. Just wish I would have capitalized.

Nov 25, 2013
Manchester, Ky
Went this morning and started with female invitation howls at daybreak. Within 5 minutes heard crunching in the snow from the same direction I walked in. Obviously, I wasn't expecting that so I had to turn to look. Saw a good sized coyote working its way around the hillside. I tried to turn and get a shot, but with that much movement and the pace he/she had I couldn't get a shot. It feels good knowing I'm doing something right getting them to come in. Just wish I would have capitalized.

Its hard to get them every time. Had one come in Sunday morning to the only spot around where I couldn't get a clear shot for the brush. It stayed there for a while then left the way it came.

BG33

6 pointer
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester, Kentucky
That's how it goes. They know exactly where to go so you can't see them. The more I hunt these things the more I realize how smart they really are. I love the challenge of it though.

Buck_Nasty

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2009
Laurel County
Its hard to get them every time. Had one come in Sunday morning to the only spot around where I couldn't get a clear shot for the brush. It stayed there for a while then left the way it came.

Believe he was hunting the same dog that done you and I that way one morning...LOL. Old dog stayed held up in a small patch of pine trees, which was the only spot on the entire place we couldn't get a shot.

Buck_Nasty

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2009
Laurel County
Its possible. We both live in Manchester.

It would of had to do some traveling...LOL. If you were in the area you told me in PM you hunt. This was down towards Burning Springs. BG33 and I both fired our howlers up when we got there and we got a response from a few ridges over. We set there a while calling and got nothing. We were actually packing up to leave, and were messing with our E Callers, just messing around. Either me or BG one another fired up the challenge howl, and the old dog chimed in on us. I called back and forth with that dog for about 15 or 20 minutes I guess. He was held up in that patch of pines, and I never could find him in my scope. Brian attempted to move down the hill and around in the tall grass to hopefully get a shot on him, but never could. I'd say that old dog had been around the block a few times the way he was acting and hiding out.

Latest posts