Mineral Lick DIY... Garlic?

Discussion in 'QDM' started by James Scott White, Apr 10, 2021.

1. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    Gonna post this to a couple of forums to get the most responses I can...

After trying to maintain several mineral sites with multiple products I’ve come to the conclusion that these ‘deer minerals’ are effective but also a ridiculously over priced marketing tool; hence the obvious word “deer” on the packages. That said I’ve moved to DIY mineral sites that are super cheap and have the exact same minerals that these compananies use to take our money.

The mix I’m playing around with right now is pretty popular among DIYers (Dicalcium Phosphate, Generic Trace Minerals, and a Salt Mix) all of which come from the grain store. I’m trying to take this blend to the next level by incorporating a tick/fly defense to the blend for this summer. My thought is garlic powder but I’m not sure if it will act as a repellant due to odor. Has anyone tried this before? Ratios? What other cheap ingredients have you tried to attract deer to the sites (taste or aroma) that might counter the garlic? Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  2. rutnbuk

rutnbuk Spike

Jul 11, 2017
    KY
    Use this recipe it works for me. Looks like I dug up a kiddee pool!

Attached Files:

James Scott White likes this.
  3. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I've never used any other product that contained "extra" ingredients like: Garlic, Molasses, or Apple flavoring. I've always had good results using those Brown Mineral Blocks from T.S.C. and Deer seem to prefer these over those fancy over-priced "flavored" mineral/salt blocks.

James Scott White likes this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    cinngar is a cinnamon and garlic mixture used to repel flies in cattle. It would probably work in deer also.

a regular beef cow mineral is the best mineral that you can put out for deer. Trace mineral salt does not contain copper, zinc, selenium, etc that will benefit the deer. You have to think of deer like they are a goat.

James Scott White and rutnbuk like this.
  5. rutnbuk

rutnbuk Spike

Jul 11, 2017
    KY
    I don’t use the molasses listed above just the trace mineral, di cal, salt in the recipe. It’s all very cheap. It makes two hundred pounds of mineral. I pour a bucket full in a spot and the deer have eaten a hole the size of a kiddee pool in the ground. This was two years ago. It’s deeper now. F61C2608-32DC-4E4D-A712-1A69B14FAEEF.jpeg

davers and James Scott White like this.
  6. James Scott White

James Scott White 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2020
    Rowan County
    I’m on my 10th site refill with 150 lbs of the blend. I can’t remeber what it cost me but it was super cheap- something like 32 dollars after tax? I have to refresh it about once a month which is fine with me because it gets me out there and gives me an excuse to check cameras. They tear it up better than anything else I’ve found. I’ve been using 2 parts Trace mineral, 1 part di Cal, and 1 part mix-n-salt.

rutnbuk likes this.