Min-max dressing and processing

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by theprofessor, Aug 17, 2019.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    Hey y’all-
    Maybe counting my chickens, but I’m coming into a season where I look to get a bunch of deer—I’m in Western VA now where we get 2 bucks + 3 does, and I’m on a kill permit now that will get me up to five does—and I’ve also got a conducive schedule. So I find myself with a lot of deer to cut up, which is what I wanted. Careful what you pray for...

I’ve cut up a total of four deer myself, but always thought I really needed to maximize them to get the most meat, since it was the only one I’d get that year.

Here’s what I’m wondering:

Let’s say I take inner and outer loins, shoulder and ham quarters, and neck roast, and don’t drive myself crazy trying to get every scrap of flapsteak, etc. Don’t be like Steve Rinella and slow roast the d*mn head, y’know? How much am I really leaving behind? Is there really any quick way to get the rest of the trim/scraps?

I want to make the most of each animal, but there’s a point of diminishing returns, and I’m also not well situated to put one on the pole and work on it for hours and hours. One of my big goals this season is to get really good at going from kill to cleaned up quickly and efficiently.

So, how do YOU do it?

tl;dr: how do I cut up a deer fast without wasting too much meat?

2. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I always skin and quarter mine which takes no time. Cooler age it up to a week. Everything besides the loins cut off, chunk up, and run through a grinder.

Cuts like rib meat and flank I grind for sausage and the rest for burger. Usually I cut out a few steaks or roasts but if were just talking speed you can trim up the quarters pretty quick and grind.

theprofessor likes this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    Ok, so you quarter—take off the fore- and hind-legs whole—pretty quick, but how much time and effort do you put into getting the rib and flank meat? And how much do we really get out of that?

4. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    I cut the flank off in one piece along the last rib. The rib meat I just run a knife along the rib bones and get out the strip of meat between the ribs. Theres some meat left on the bones but not enough that I really feel like I'm wasting it.

theprofessor likes this.