Miller Welch WMA

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Tyler Bacic, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Tyler Bacic

Tyler Bacic Fawn

Oct 9, 2017
    Berea, KY
    Has anyone bow hunted the area, it's 5 minutes from my house and would like to know if it's worth going out to. Any pointers would help, from the public land hunting results it doesn't seem to be too good so just curious.

2. childersb24

childersb24 8 pointer

Mar 25, 2010
    If it's only 5min away I'd go scout it or look on the kdfwr website to see what's been killed in the past

3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    My advice is to hike toward the Red Lick direction to get away from hunt pressure. There are plenty of deer there. Scout as mentioned. I grew up fairly close to the area.

4. Tyler Bacic

Tyler Bacic Fawn

Oct 9, 2017
    Berea, KY
    Usually less than 5 deer killed per year, I know there's deer there just don't have a lot of time to scout it myself. Due to work and a newborn.

5. Tyler Bacic

Tyler Bacic Fawn

Oct 9, 2017
    Berea, KY
    I'll check it out. More of an evening or morning area?

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Honestly, I don't know what would be better. Been gone from those parts for sometime. I'd say during the week, morning would be best. At least less likely to get as much pressure as the weekend. Just guessing. Back in the day they used to do a lot of dog trials there and have trap shooting and not many people hunted it for that reason. I've seen some big deer killed in that area just not necessarily on the WMA.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  7. Tyler Bacic

Tyler Bacic Fawn

Oct 9, 2017
    Berea, KY
    Yea red lick produces some monster bucks. Now it's only allowed to be hunted Monday-Thursday. Wish there was a way to put a trail camera out without someone stealing it.

8. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    I wouldn't put up a camera there if u are hunting there. someone else is to, especially when people on horseback pull right up to your tree. it's walked to death

9. Tyler Bacic

Tyler Bacic Fawn

Oct 9, 2017
    Berea, KY
    Yea I know. Wish there was a way to put one out have you hunted the area?