Military rifles

redjackson

8 pointer
Dec 4, 2010
Barren County
My Brother bought an old Swiss Rifle, a few years ago, made in 1885 chambered for the .41 Swiss Rim Fire cartridge. The rifle has all it's matching parts and the bore looks to be unfired, in perfect condition!! Since there is no ammunition available, it is just a display rifle. Kind of neat, and it is in perfect working order.
Alot of guys are modifying those vetterli rifles to centerfire and handloading for them. Very cool guns. I have hunted with my K31 a few times but plan to more.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
Alot of guys are modifying those vetterli rifles to centerfire and handloading for them. Very cool guns. I have hunted with my K31 a few times but plan to more.
Yes, many were converted to fire center fire .41 Swiss Ammo. I've read that center fire ammo can be formed from .348 Winchester brass, but this caliber too is hard to find. Italy had a similar cartridge in .41 like the Swiss had, but it was a center fire cartridge.

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
Back when i did gun hunt ( 25 years ago) old millitary relics is all i ever had, my best idea of a ‘hunting rifle’ was an old .303 british enfield i got for $125 from a pawn shop that someone had replaced stock with a plastic one, and crudely drilled and tapped for a scope, before it was an old 1917 enfield, and a garand.
Some years back i traded around for two marlin levers one in 45/70, one in 30/30. I keep them both bare, as to me they are brush guns, and i can aquire the target much quicker with open sights.
Besides, John Wayne didnt use no scope…..😏

Last edited:

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I was always partial to 7.62x39 SKS (Wolf Soft Point 124gr) and 7.62x54R Moist Nuggets (203gr Silver Bear/180gr S&B). Accurate and plenty of knockdown.

Ive killed deer with 30 Carbine (Federal 110gr SP). Very lackluster performance, no expansion.

Of course 7.62x51,30-06, 5.56 and .45 ACP.

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
I was amazed, many times, at what 5.56 will do. My grandson started killing deer at age 6 with an AR-15. Perfect for youth, adjustable stock, easy follow up shots , and no recoil. I dont think any deer he killed ( a dozen or so) ran more than 40 yards. Bullet selection is key. 64 gr hornady deer and antelope rounds.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I was amazed, many times, at what 5.56 will do. My grandson started killing deer at age 6 with an AR-15. Perfect for youth, adjustable stock, easy follow up shots , and no recoil. I dont think any deer he killed ( a dozen or so) ran more than 40 yards. Bullet selection is key. 64 gr hornady deer and antelope rounds.
77gr OTM are the hardest hitting of the “legal” hunting rounds, Federal GMM and IMI RazorCore. The 64gr round nose SP (boar busters) were good but can’t find anymore. The 62gr SPs (Federal and Hornady) I tried were very unreliable on expansion on close shots.

The OTM is not a hunting round by design but you can’t tell that to the dozens of coyotes and deer I’ve used them on. They are explosive on groundhogs as well. They always pass through and leave baseball exits inside of 200yds. I’ve stretched it a bit before and they still expand out to 350 (coyotes, not deer, getting low on energy out there).

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
The M38 kills deer and Nazi’s
Simple, crude, effective, and nearly indestructible. Trigger may be close to 30lbs.
A60FA79B-33B6-4D07-80B8-C3245E486CB9.jpeg

Last edited:

glenmorebuckman

6 pointer
Dec 20, 2003
Glenmore, Ky, USA.
Got to love shooting and hunting with the old military rifles. I have a 1943 Garand that I got from the CMP and a 1917 US Enfield in 30-06 that I restored. I need to get a 1903 Springfield and an M1 Carbine to complete my collection but the prices have skyrocketed. Also have an SKS and while fun to shoot it’s just not the same for me as having something with US Rifle stamped on it.

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
Got to love shooting and hunting with the old military rifles. I have a 1943 Garand that I got from the CMP and a 1917 US Enfield in 30-06 that I restored. I need to get a 1903 Springfield and an M1 Carbine to complete my collection but the prices have skyrocketed. Also have an SKS and while fun to shoot it’s just not the same for me as having something with US Rifle stamped on it.
Got em all ! Love em, never shoot em. My 1917 eddystone enfield, and garand have both put meat in the freezer, as well as my .303 british, and 6.5 norwegian craig

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
SKS are a ball hunting with. They swing and come on target very naturally with iron sights. I had a friend that up until a couple years ago, killed every dear he’d ever killed with sks and steel case HPs “I use steel case SPs”. He bow hunts now and has since amended that.

I like hunting with a 1911 as well.

I have another friend that 2 years ago killed 2 coyotes and a 150” deer with his Garand, iron sights. I was teasing him one day. We went to the range, he was 9/10 on a 10” plate at 300yds… he can see better than me is all I’m saying. I can do that at 200 with a Mosin but that’s pushing my limits.

Tom Threetoes

10 pointer
Oct 4, 2002
southern Indiana.
My old 1917 Eddystone was all I had for years and I shot a truck load of $6 a hundred milsurp with it. I took it to a smith once and he bore scoped it for me. The barrel looked like 40 miles of bad black top. Too much corrosive ammo without cleaning. It's been sitting in the corner of my closet ever since

Latest posts