Military rifles

Hoosier5

Banned
Sep 6, 2004
Northern Taylor Co.
fullstrut1 said:
As far as military rifles go, I have killed deer with a SKS, M1 carbine, and a Trap door. I must say I enjoyed them all !

On your SKS, did you install a scope or just use open sights? Also what type load/brand of ammo did you use? In my SKS I found that either IMR-4198 or the now discontinued WW-680 were the best powders along with a 123 grain SPT .310" bullet. I have a Ruger M-77 MKII Bolt Action rifle in 7.62 X 39 m/m and I've taken several Deer using a .308" 150 grain .30-30 Winchester "Silvertip" bullet using IMR-4198 Powder.

fullstrut1

12 pointer
Oct 17, 2005
Rineyville
Hoosier 5,

I was useing the factory sights and the cheap russian hollow point ammo. It did a good job with the deer going maybe 20 yards after the shot. The shot was between 70 and 80 yards.

Hoosier5

Banned
Sep 6, 2004
Northern Taylor Co.
I have several rounds of WOLF Russian 7.62 X 39 m/m ammo with the hollow point, but felt that since they are steel jacketed with a copper wash that they might act like a FMJ and not expand well enough. I guess they expand then, by the fact you got Deer with this load. I haven't tried bullets lighter than 150 grainers. I also have some shells loaded up using Sierra's 135 grain Single-shot pistol .308" bullets. I used RL-7 powder in developing loads for this weight & bullet type, but IMR-4198 seems to shoot accurately as well.

fullstrut1

12 pointer
Oct 17, 2005
Rineyville
Before our two boys came along my wife would hunt with me every year and three years in a row she killed a buck with the sks and this same ammo. One of the bucks field dressed 191 lbs..

newshooter05

6 pointer
Dec 29, 2004
bowling green ky
wellllllllllll

i have owned several custom rifles built on the mauser action by archie stahl and have hunted with the 7 and 8 mm mauser and the 303 british and a3 o3 springfield 30-06. all make excellent hunting arms. a sportised mauser or british 303 is the back up of several friends of mine . i have never cared for the open sights and have always scoped them. they are strong, robust and dependable . just like they were designed and proven to be thru several wars.
david

AStahl

Fawn
Sep 23, 2022
Bowling Green, Kentucky
wellllllllllll

i have owned several custom rifles built on the mauser action by archie stahl and have hunted with the 7 and 8 mm mauser and the 303 british and a3 o3 springfield 30-06. all make excellent hunting arms. a sportised mauser or british 303 is the back up of several friends of mine . i have never cared for the open sights and have always scoped them. they are strong, robust and dependable . just like they were designed and proven to be thru several wars.
david
Archie Stahl was my grandfather. Send me a message. Would love to see them.

redlickranch

10 pointer
Dec 11, 2007
Bullitt County
7.62x39 Fusion Ammo AR15 setup (SKS / AK Round)

7ebKiJJl.jpg

Last edited:

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
A very OLD but still interesting thread.
My Dad killed a couple with a Springfield 1903 and neighbors long ago used 8mm K98 Mauser and an Enfield .303? Caliber.?
That was about what was available and Cheap.
Adequate Ammo was scarce and I am betting it was all MilSurp.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
My Brother bought an old Swiss Rifle, a few years ago, made in 1885 chambered for the .41 Swiss Rim Fire cartridge. The rifle has all it's matching parts and the bore looks to be unfired, in perfect condition!! Since there is no ammunition available, it is just a display rifle. Kind of neat, and it is in perfect working order.

Latest posts