Military rifles

big bubba t

10 pointer
Sep 4, 2004
Waltersburg , KY
I've hunted with an old 7mm mauser for years . Other than being heavy it's reliable as heck and I don't have to worry about keeping it pretty. I've downed several deer and coyotes with it.

moreammoplz

8 pointer
Feb 8, 2005
Louisville, KY
KYBOY said:
Anyone hunt with Military rifles? Ive been thinking of hunting with my garand just for fun this year.

You read my mind..... I am thinking the same thing....

DSC03825.jpg

GunCat

8 pointer
Jan 26, 2006
Fairview, KY
I say go for it! :D

Adds another dimension to your hunt to pack something with a history behind it. Todays stainless/synthetic/etc guns are fine but they give up points on style and tradition...maybe I'm just too nostalgic ;)

In my deer hunting I've covered the 18th century with a Brown Bess musket, the 19th with a Trapdoor Springfield and the 20th with an AR-15...but I really needs me a Garand, ....and a Mauser, and ... a HK-G3 :eek:

Hoosier5

Banned
Sep 6, 2004
Northern Taylor Co.
My Sporterized SKS

I have a Sportized SKS that I've considered taking on a Deer Hunt. Haven't yet though. I restocked it a few years ago with the present stock, replaced the rear sight with a Williams SKS Peep Sight, and removed the barrel "hardware" from the rifle. I also replaced the 10-shot Magazine with a 5-Shot Magazine. It shoots very good too!

P7290010.jpg
[/IMG]

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
Man thats a slick SKS:p Where did you come across that stock???please? Two nice garands up there to. I love em' dont you:D Sadly I didnt get to hunt with my M1A befor it had to go cause of a tight money spot:(

Hoosier5

Banned
Sep 6, 2004
Northern Taylor Co.
KYBOY, I bought the stock from Midway back around 1994 or so. They had these "drop-in" stocks, for the SKS, that were made by Rhinehart Fajen of Warsaw, Mo. My SKS is a NORINCO Brand with chrome barrel, and as you know they are somewhat hard to find thesedays, thanks to the Assualt Weapons band of the 1990's. I removed the hardware, on the barrel myself and this, itself, and the new stock, improved the accuracy. I have a scope mount for it but never used it, as I always felt the SKS was not very scope friendly. I've never had any experience with the M-1 Garand, and you're right about the two pictured, they are very nice!

Josh7.62x54

6 pointer
Mar 9, 2005
Cincinasty
I'm gonna hunt with a swiss k-31 I bought. It has a clamp on scope mount (with a scope of course) and groups very well. I usually don't like to sporterize military rifles, but I think I'm going to find a suitable reciever with a trashed barrel and stock and build a mauser 98.

Auk1124

10 pointer
Aug 25, 2004
Third trailer on the left
If I go (doubtful but I may change my mind) I will be toting my favorite milsurp, an old Enfield, stuffed with handloads and 150 grain Hornady bullets. Either that or one of my Mosin Nagants.

Jul 28, 2006
Josh,

The K31 is going to do fine. I have been hunting for years with a Schmidt Rueben 96/11 in 7.5x55 as the K31. I use the Norma ammo. No deer I shot went beyond 50 yards after being hit.