Might be a KY record ELK

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Big Jo, Sep 17, 2021.

1. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Not a turkey shoot like it once was

2. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Don't know who you been talking to, but there ain't no easy elk in Ky any more.... Hell, there aren't many elk period any more.

CRFmxracer likes this.
  3. Catridge

Catridge 6 pointer

Jan 11, 2015
    I know it is not as easy as it once was to kill there , guess I’m just more aggravated with the whole draw process, heck I know a family, husband and wife work for KYFW , whole dang family been drawn multiple times , boys you can’t tell me that it is all straight, I ain’t buying it … crooked as a snake .. but dummy me keeps giving my money like alot of folk every year ..

Munson, barney, bigbonner and 3 others like this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    I know of 3 guys who have each been drawn twice.

Munson and barney like this.
  5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’ve been drawn twice. 0-2! I think I’m retiring from putting in. At least until I retire from work.

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

On the opposite end, I know a guy who worked his whole career and retired from KDFW. Neither he, nor his sons, had ever been drawn as of 2011. He owns 120 acres in the elk zone and has let tons of people hunt and harvest, including me, in 2011 (except I didn’t harvest). His SIL got drawn the first and only time she’d ever applied and killed like the #7 biggest bull to date back in like 09. I think the big money commissioner tags and all of that BS could be shady, but I actually think the common draw is legit. Nobody’s like me, wouldn’t get drawn twice if it was rigged. Several of the LMO guides I met in 19 told me they hadn’t been drawn.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I’m the only LMO guide that’s been drawn, but I’ve not been over since 2018. I’ve drawn twice.

bigbonner, CRFmxracer and xbokilla like this.
  8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    No doubt there were some rigging going on in the early years.

barney likes this.
  9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Ive been drawn 3 times and am a nobody. Bull in 2010 and cow archery twice in the next 5 years. NOONE was putting in for cow archery at the time because you could only pick 2 of the 4 hunts. Everyone put in for bull only or gun only. Odds were 1/15 for cow archery, and bull hunts were 1/150+ You likely would have been drawn had you been putting in for cow archery back then.

RLWEBB likes this.
  10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    In regards to rigging Guides wouldnt get preferential treatment from KDFWR, it would be friends of politicians, commissioners, business and land owners. I dint think the draws were rigged at all, ever. I think the commissioner and land owner tags were acquired via deals and people saw these same connected people going elk hunting year after year thinking they were drawn.

11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    You can't be that naive.... In the early draws, officials and their families got drawn for tag after tag......... This was before commissioner and land owner tags existed.....

12. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I started putting in in 2008 (might have been 2007 but i didnt pay much attention to it before that) my buddy got drawn that year and we went cow hunting with Danny Combs. When did the draw get cleaned up? And are you speaking of the Orr family getting drawn half a dozen times? I recollect that name being tossed around in regards to early shadyness. I also recollect they accidentally shot two elk and self reported as well. John Gassett comes to mind as well but again he was pimping out commissioner and land owner tags not messing with the elk drawing.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    bgkyarcher likes this.
  13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Him, and other's. Danny guided me on my archery bull.

carnivore likes this.
  14. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Yea Id say thats correct

15. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I stopped putting in but for me it was just a matter of being disheartened . You see for years I dealt with the dang things. Fixed our fence more times than I can count..Run them away from the house, the dog lots the work shop....Then hell at work we'd have to take a work crew to sweep elk crap off the firing range every dang day.. When rabbit hunting we'd have to hunt around them so the dogs wouldnt get trampled when running a rabbit around a big bedding area.. It was like they lived with me..
    Then I could never get drawn. Year after year and now its to the point that if I did get drawn all the areas I had to elk hunt are now gone. Leased up and locked up..
    I will not pay to hunt an animal in my home county. I just cant do it.. Ill do a DIY hunt out west first