Mid-Day Rut Movement

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by john39, Nov 22, 2020.

1. john39

john39 Fawn

Nov 12, 2020
    Washington DC
    Hey guys I’m in my first couple years of whitetail hunting and I’m seeing a decent amount of deer, a few bucks here and there but nothing during mid-day. I almost always see all my movement in the evening. I have done a few all day sits at spots where I see good deer movement in the evening but nothing mid day. Just curious how many of u guys see rutting bucks midday or have actually killed them midday. Let’s see some pics too! Thanks

2. redlickranch

redlickranch 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    Saw a real nice buck chasing at noon yesterday.

john39 likes this.
  3. coach&hunt

coach&hunt 6 pointer

Dec 17, 2013
    Kentucky
    Noon time is good depending on stand location. Natural travel areas between doe bedding areas or in the edge or really thick areas.... or where a buck can access a vantage point visually or with scent. This ha been my experience. I got two nice ones on my wall that were 1 pm-2pm kills

john39 likes this.
  4. Buckkillr

Buckkillr 6 pointer

Dec 15, 2019
    Ohio
    I always hear of guys killing giants in that midday but myself the few times I've hunted that time I've seen nothing. I think alot has to do with how many people are hunting around you to push them deer outta there bed.
    I gotta believe rut is about over by now

john39 and carnivore like this.
  5. luckychucky

luckychucky 6 pointer

Aug 5, 2008
    Manchester ky
    No, I didn’t hunt where there is a lot of pressure. Eastern Kentucky has lots of forest with no pressure. Deer will move all during the year middle of the day, no matter what the conditions are. Bucks will keep breeding until no does are in heat, so I am a big believer in sitting all day.

john39, Grago and NOCAMST like this.
  6. Clyde

Clyde Fawn

Oct 26, 2020
    Kentucky
    Right before rifle season I was changing tires on the four wheeler and ru ming my mouth and two bucks came within 30yds chasin a doe around the yard 2pm. Never paid a lick of attention to us.

Attached Files:

john39 and Grago like this.
  7. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    My favorite time to hunt is midday near the full moon period. Don’t hunt open field areas like you would hunt in the late aft/evening. Hunt travel areas between bedding spots and in particular a funnel between those bedding spots. My biggest 7 bucks were all killed between 9:30-3:30. Full moon is 11/30 so the last 3-4 days of the gun season should be good for mid day sits.

BootsOn27 and carnivore like this.
  8. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    I have killed several good bucks between 11;00 and 11:30

9. captfire

captfire 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2015
    iv'e killed most of my bucks in the morning between day light till 8 am were I hunt I don't see much of the eveing. I hunt about 100 yards from a ceader thick it I see lots of deer coming and going ...

Grago likes this.
  10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Midday can be productive if you are in the right areas and pick the right days. But if you are not, you will get burnt out mentally and over-hunt/pressure a spot with scent and human activity.

hunt and BootsOn27 like this.
  11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I actually like midday even later in the year than this. We’ve about hunted all day to no avail our last few times out. We’ve only came out for like an hour to eat and stretch. It’s still very warm. Most movement I’ve ever seen in midday was a late ML season hunt during a full moon a few years back. We went in around 10am and hunted until dark but all the movement was from like 11-2. For the most part, I still think first 2-3 of morning and last 2-3 hours of the day are your best bet, regardless. Like others have said though, location has a lot to do with it.

hunt, BootsOn27 and Recurve77 like this.
  12. BootsOn27

BootsOn27 6 pointer

Oct 13, 2011
    The older I get the more I realize that in regard to seeing mature deer, it's not always about the quantity of your sits, but rather the quality. Sure if you spend more time in the woods you will likely see more deer. But not necessarily THE deer.

xbokilla, NOCAMST, Junglekat and 2 others like this.
  13. redlickranch

redlickranch 8 pointer

Dec 11, 2007
    Bullitt County
    After opening weekend I may wait to go into the woods around 10-11 am. I have only shot one buck on our property before 9 am.

xbokilla likes this.