Mid day hunting

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by shadow, Feb 3, 2012.

1. shadow

shadow Fawn

Dec 12, 2003
    Morehead, KY.
    How good is mid day hunting for coyotes. I seem to only be able to get out through the middle of the day so I have not tried, afraid to "educate" the local dogs.

2. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

The next few weeks will be good ones for staying out all day. Most females will breed on or about the 15'th of this month. Other than this period you would have to be more certain of where they are during mid day hours. Scout and scout some more, make your best guess and have at it . We hunt when we can and do the best we can with the options we have.

I have called more than one off it's bed over the years and am quite certain I walked right past several of them. You don't know what's going to happen until you try. Jimmie

3. Ruffled

Ruffled Fawn

Jan 7, 2012
    I'm very new to coyote hunting but a couple of weeks ago we called in two about 1130.did not get either . Happy to report that I connected on my first one yesterday about 9 am. Got him with a mouse squeaker and lightn jack-40 yds with 12 ga

4. kycountryboy

kycountryboy 6 pointer

Dec 30, 2008
    columbia,ky
    If you can find there bedding spot and get in there with wind in your favor and very quietly you might have some luck. Just go out about dark and listen you will be able to find out close to where there bedding! Or use a locator about dark.

5. Over the years I have called and killed many coyotes in the middle of the day. IMO the best time for mid day hunting is on very cold and cloudy winter days. On those days I try to hunt all day if I can. February is also a good month to hunt mid days because coyote breeding is in full swing. I have always had good luck with howling during mid day hunts.

6. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    Whats a cold, cloudy winter day? do we have them an ol tucky?

7. 30-30

30-30 8 pointer

Aug 26, 2011
    Whats a cold, cloudy winter day? do we have them an ol tucky?

8. XFORCE

XFORCE 8 pointer

Oct 14, 2009
    Now is the time to be out there calling. Like Jimmy said they are ready to get their groove on and they are more active. I go anytime I have a chance....Yes even on 90degree days and still kill a few here and there. Colder the better but around here lately you take what you can. good luck to ya!!

9. kyfuzzyface

kyfuzzyface 8 pointer

Nov 2, 2007
    Central Ky
    Several of the ones that was killed at LBL was mid-day.
    KySlim and I called in 3 in the early PM 3 or 4 CST

10. Jimmie in Ky

Jimmie in Ky 12 pointer

Think of this Fuzz, if the numbers in the LBL didn't peak this year, and disease doesn't get the pups, next year will be even hotter . They should peak next year. You can tell by the scats you saw what condition the numbers are in. Lots of deer hair in them means a peak in population there.

If you can never go out west , LBL should be on your bucket list for a week in february. Jimmie