Messing with the Wolf

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Grago, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Weather has been so good, went out shooting the wolf some
    1st pic is 85 grains blackhorn 209, 265 hornady ftx in a green rib crush sabot 4 shots 100 yards, winchester 209 primer
    2nd shot, is 85 grains 209 , 250 grain hornady sst , black rib crush sabot , 209 winchester primer
    3rd shot, the one I was looking for, 75 grains, blackhorn 209, 265 hornady ftx bullet green rib crush, sabot 209 winchester, primer all at 100 yards, powder just measured in a clear tube.

Attached Files:

bird whisperer and davers like this.
  2. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Wish I still had my wolf. I hit a stage about 10 years ago and sold all my in lines. Went with flintlock home made rifles. I wish I had the option now (as I’m older) I like to use a rifle I hadn’t used for years. Like to think about the old hunts I had with them. Now I can’t.
    Ok now back to your post sorry, I would use either of those loads. All look good. Better then my self load 30-06. Lol

Grago likes this.
  3. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Added this kick pad to it, im liking this little wolf, tried a 100 grains in it, it didnt like it or did i kicked like a mule, they call this a entry level gun, but i dont see that, i know some people think they are under gunned using one of these, because they are so inexpensive, i enjoy shooting the accura and optima a little more, because of the thumbhole stock, but for hunting, this is a good little gun within a fair range, and i dont know exactly what that is. I killed that buck a few weeks ago, in muzzleloader season, he didnt know the difference what gun i was using, I guess all im saying here is if a person cant afford any better or just starting out, i dont think they should really feel under gunned , If i was gonna start somebody out onvthe wolf tho, i would back the powder charge down some till they got used to it.

Attached Files:

4. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I wouldn’t be afraid to shoot 150-175 if they are that accurate at a 100 I don’t see it not holding that far as long as the bullet performs good. I have shot a doe 145 yards with my .54 flintlock with a lead ball with 75 grain of goex. Ball stopped in second shoulder. She stumbled a few yards and dropped dead. Glad she did to cause she was a big ole girl and died a few yards from a deep deep holler. Lol

Grago likes this.
  5. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Rcb 216 , we are getting older, or at least i am, and unhealthy to boot, i have a good friend, he is kinda like you were, he always wanted to use the older stuff, he went back to a recurve, and shot and hunted with that, till his shoulder went out, now dont hunt much at all with anything, i used to consider myself a good shot, but not anymore, cant take much recoil, like i once did, never feel it shooting at a buck, but i just plain, like to shoot,

6. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Good shooting, all of the loads.

mykizha and Grago like this.
  7. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Well I’m not really old 48, just had a back injury a few years ago that severely limits what I do. I’m just getting to the point that I don’t like people, don’t like the way the world is, and I like the way things used to be. Born in wrong century I guess. But the two I sold I had a lot of good hunts with. And now I’m handing down things to my son and trying to instill in him the memories I had with them. I wish I had them to let him use and add the memories to them. As simple as my old day pack I was gave that pack to me by my oldest son when he was 6. He grabbed it at Walmart for $6. I remember cause he was 6. Now 29. I wore that pack out. Straps have been replaced on it, zipper half wore out but he uses it cause I did. You can’t understand what that means till you have your own. I was walking to a stand that would never hunt normally but it’s in an area that my son hunts. So to be with him I go to it. He walks off ahead of me cause I’m to slow and he is in a hurry to get up his summit I gave him. and I think back to when I was his age and the men that I hunted with are now all gone. And I’m proud that he knows more at his age of 15 about the woods and Christ and the game then I did at 25. I said all that so I can say this. I wish I had that old wolf and the optima so I can let him use them some.

Grago likes this.
  8. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Im with you, brother , in the end all we really have from all of it, is maybe a few mounts, and all the memories, be good or bad, we have those, and no one can take that away . Were fortunate, we have those.

9. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    We have a good bunch of guys. Mostly meat hunters and we get as happy with a doe as we do a big buck. No diff. Actually I’d say happier with a yearling doe cause we are all down in the back and it’s easier to work with and quicker to work up and eats better. But we gotta get twice as many. But needing twice as many is a good thing. Lol

Grago likes this.
  10. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    I have been pleased with my Wolf. Shoots 1 inch groups with Hornady 250 gr. SST in front of 100 gr. of Pyrodex pellets. I feel confident with it to 150. Where I hunt, that is plenty of range. For me, there is no need for a more expensive muzzleloader.

Grago likes this.
  11. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    Your right HCD, i like tight groups on paper, when im shooting off sand bags. But if a person, had around a 3 inch group they would probably not even want to hunt with that gun. But in all honesty, If a person is shooting at a nice buck they really want, and are nervous and excited, they have done well to hit , within 3 inches of where they are trying, to add extreme cold to that , with a lot of clothes on and are really good to hit within 3 inches, just my opinion.

12. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Are you using standard 209 shotgun primers or magnum shotgun primers? I bought a can of Blackhorn-209 powder for my T/C Black Diamond .50 M/L and use Hornady XTP 250 grain .451" sabot bullet.

13. mykizha

mykizha 6 pointer

Aug 19, 2018
    Hamilton
    I have had an optima and just recently bought a wolf to share with my kids. I was in a hurry to get it sighted in to use in southern Michigans gun season and used the same load I had for the optima.. 110 gr. of blackhorn behind 325 gr. Hornady XTP and magnum primer. Shoots decent groups at 170 yards but damn does it kick. I need to spend some time with smaller bullets and less powder. Might give your last load a try.

I think I shot 15 rounds sighting it in and what a miserable experience.

Grago likes this.
  14. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Try using 90 grains (Volume) of your Blackhorn-209 + 250 grain (.451") .45 cal. sabot Hornady XTP bullet.

15. Grago

Grago 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2016
    They do kick like a mule, i went down to that 75 grain, and it shot really good, shot fine with the heavier loads to but, they call the wolf a entry level, gun, other than the price there is nothing i see about them being entry level

HCDH66 likes this.