Mechanical broadheads are crap???

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kyhunter1992, Sep 10, 2013.

1. kyhunter1992

kyhunter1992 Fawn

Sep 9, 2013
    crittenden co
    don't see why people blame them not finding a deer they shot on crappy broadheads. I have shot my fair share of deer with all types of broadheads and NAP have never let me down. now a broadhead will hardly ever let you down if you make a great placement on your shot. you just have to be able to track a deer. being on this site I have seen that ppl make it out to be harder than it is. now ppl who aren't the greatest shot should try to find a broadhead that is durable and can withstand deflections off bone and the shoulder. broadheads like that should increase the chances of more penetration. I shot a 165 inch velvet buck this past sunday and the NAP killzone eat his lunch. let me know what yall think about this topic. just hate when ppl make excuses on equipment. because if u do your job with a good shot the equipment will do its job

2. Hoytman87

Hoytman87 6 pointer

Aug 19, 2013
    Laurel County
    Couldnt have said it better agree 110%

3. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    Muzzy MX3 all the way

4. The Truth

The Truth 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2009
    Fast bows shooting at live targets mainly in low light conditions. I think half of the people have no idea where they hit the deer. So if you cant find it, its not because you screwed up. It must be these crappy broadheads everyone is down on. Im starting to think the indians starved to death with their hand sharpened rock broadheads. Everyone knows you cant kill a deer with it unless it has the bone crusher tip on it.

5. huntr467

huntr467 12 pointer

Stick around the season just got started. There will be dozens of threads about lost deer, lost blood trail, no blood trail, jumped my deer now what, need a dog, shot sounded good but, white hair brown hair, red blood, darker red blood, blood everywhere still no deer. It's human nature to blame it on something other than yourself. I have made my share of mistakes deer hunting and every one here has, they would be lying if the said they haven't. Bow hunting is a difficult sport. I don't care how many times you hit the bulls eye at 50 yards, it means very little in a real world situation, shooting at a live target.
    Practice, make what you think is the best decision to take a shot or not and when to trail or back out. We will never be perfect at it, only as good as we can be.
    The media has misguided some of the more novice hunters when it comes to archery hunting imo. It's not all about speed and cutting width.

6. kyhunter1992

kyhunter1992 Fawn

Sep 9, 2013
    crittenden co
    agree 100% its more human error than gear

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    The greatest target shots sometimes suck on live animals. I knew a guy back in the 70's. Ray Brown. He was a world class bullseye shot. Shot clean indoor more than he didn't. He could hit an aspirin at 20 yards more than he missed, and this with the bows of the 70's. Put a set of antlers on it, and he couldn't hit a frisbee. Shooting deer is more than just being able to shoot well. You have to be able to maintain your nerves, wait for a good angle, draw without alarming the deer, then execute the shot. Many things can go wrong. I've killed more than my share of deer with a bow, but only a couple of good bucks. I've lost two deer in 35 years. One was a nice 8 point, the other was a really nice 8 point. One was bad luck, the other was a dumb shot that shouldn't have been taken. It happens.

8. standsitten

standsitten 8 pointer

Mar 20, 2011
    I have to agree, about 10 years ago I lost one of the biggest buck I ever shot with a bow. The arrow only went in about 6", the deer ran off with my arrow and I found my arrow while looking for the deer. To make it short and sweet, it was due to bad shot placement, I pulled my shot and hit the deer dead in the shoulder. I was shooting a 3 blade Muzzy broad head at the time. It was not because the broad head was bad it was simply because I screwed up. I have never completely got over losing that deer I can still see it running off with my arrow. To this day it has made me cautious as to where I shot a deer. I wish I could have blamed it on the broad head, but instead I had to blame the bonehead shooter for making a bad shot!!!!! Yes I feel better for confessing this!!!! Lol

9. KYHeadHunter02

KYHeadHunter02 8 pointer

Oct 9, 2008
    20+ ft up
    I've been happy with grim reaper expandables. They leave a devestating 2in hole (if put in the right place). I think fixed blades help with less than par shots. Especially shoulder hits where penetration can be tough.

10. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I use them myself(Spitfire's) but some brands are better than others..I personally know a guy that shot a doe last season with one(that has had a reputation of not opening sometimes) that didn't open..The arrow was laying on the ground with the broadhead still closed up..Brand new head, exp'd bowhunter to. 15 yard broadside, pass through shot from a groundblind. It does happen. Though often it is the hunters fault, but never say never..Anything mechanical can fail..

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  11. Hoyt Heartsplitter

Hoyt Heartsplitter 6 pointer

Oct 31, 2007
    Everyone has their own preference, it's not always the hunters fault, the biggest buck I ever killed was with a spitfire 7 yards walking away 12" behind the shoulder 1" right of the spine and came out between his legs when he jumped the arrow pulled out of him still stuck in the ground. If not for my buddy hunting down the creek from me it would have been the next day before I found him hardly any blood. I don't know why but only one blade cut through on the exit hole. The buck I killed the year before was quartering away and came out in front of his left leg and a blind man could have followed his trail.
    So after that I went back to muzzy other people have good results with a mechanical some have bad results with a fixed blade it's more about what I have confidence in. I might shoot mechanical the rest of my life and never have another failure but I'm not willing to take that chance!
    This is my 27th bow season it doesn't have anything to do with me not being the greatest shot or not being able to track a deer, because that deer can react faster than your arrow can get there so I don't care if you can hit a dime at 50 yards your not always gonna make that perfect shot and I want something that gives me the best chance when I don't.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I like the ones im using but have shot fixed blades for years.Shot the Bear Razorhead for several years.
    7 times out of 10 its not the broad heads fault.Shot placement or dull blades are the most cause of lost Deer.Some times rushing the tracking pushing the Deer.People lose Deer every year with guns also.

13. NWGAHUNTER

NWGAHUNTER 6 pointer

Dec 9, 2009
    GA
    This is my first year shooting an expandable. I've always shot Muzzy and three years ago I switched to RamCat broadheads. I've had good luck with them all when I hit the deer where I am supposed to.

I shot a doe Saturday afternoon with a Rage 2-blade and the deer was at 5 yards. I shot through the top of the shoulder and it came out between her legs. Penetration was a pass through and the deer went 75 yards and piled up.

So, it really doesn't matter what you shoot if you hit it right. The hole wasn't as wide as I was expecting but it did it's job even going through the shoulder.

Hit the deer right and it will go down with just about anything.

14. lexfd

lexfd 6 pointer

Aug 27, 2008
    At peace in a tree
    I now load my arrows....I shoot a 660 gr arrow...I shoot better groups and and have knock down power. I don't have any problems with getting a passthrough..and it holds any broadhead to better flight...speeds not everything

15. kyhunter1992

kyhunter1992 Fawn

Sep 9, 2013
    crittenden co
    I agree with u except for one thing. if u don't take far shots the deer droping below ur arrow is slim.