Mechanic help

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Mainbeam, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    We my ol blue truck has done something. Blowing steam out tailpipe and water running out end of manifold where it connects to the muffler. Im thinking head gasket. It didnt overheat or anything i stopped in the store to put some gas in it and when i came out it was steaming like crazy. Is that pretty costly. Shes been a dandy for 2 years but if it cost alot i might ship her to the junkyard because the heater dont work and mirrors are ripped off and it dont have a straight piece of metal on her haha. If its a simple fix i might fix it but i aint puttin a 1000 dollars in it ill just use that 1000 + junk price and get me another beater somewhere.

2. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    And its missing while its idling

3. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    If the heater doesn't work it's likely not getting coolant movement. Sounds like it overheated and warped the head maybe???

what kind of truck and year is it

4. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Heaters been out for awhile fan motors shot. Its a 98 chevy z71 with a fairly new 350 motor. Well motor is two yrs old. Prolly has 50000 miles on it. Iv never known of it gettin hot. It was running like a sewing machine til i come out of the gas station and it was still running cool as a cucumber. The temp was the first thing i checked

5. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I think i need a army tank i generally get two yrs out of a truck before it falls apart ( literally). I sure was hoping this one was gonna be different. Sounds like i need to be hittin the car lots instead of on kyhuntin lmbo

6. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Head gasket. Had a 95 z71 350 engine do the same thing.

7. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    is that a expensive fix or not.

8. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    If you do the work yourself...No.
    If you pay someone else, ANY fix is expensive.

9. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    I'm definitely not a mechanic... LoL.. but have had enough junk vehicles to say - check the oil and see if it's reading high or looks milky. Also, look in the radiator and fill jug to see if the oil and anti freeze are mixing together. I've seen it look like lithium grease in the jug and on the bottom of the oil fill cap after the oil mixes with the coolant and gets emulsified.

10. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Parts are cheap but it takes several hours to do the job. If lucky all the head bolts will come out with no problems. If you pay someone it will cost a little $$ .depends on how cheap your mechanic is or you do it yourself.

11. scoffman

scoffman Spike

Oct 27, 2011
    Head gaskets going bad on a 350 sbc are not unheard of but more than likely a person really has to beat the engine to death and not do any routine maintenance for it them to blow. One thing to check is the coolant overfill tank while it's running and see if there are compression gases getting into the system. Gurgle gurgle blurb blurb yeah know.

When you say steam is coming out the tail pipe, do you mean smoke? White smoke usually means coolant is getting into the combustion chamber. Blueish smoke usually means oil is getting into the combustion chamber.

I'm not sure what you mean by this "water running out end of manifold where it connects to the muffler"? Is there coolant running down the outside of the exhaust manifold in the engine compartment? If so this sounds more like a burst heater core pipe, or intake manifold problem, especially if its on the passenger side of the vehicle.

It could also be the intake manifold gasket has gone bad.

12. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Its locked up now gonna sale it and be done with it.