Meat rabbits

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Mainbeam, Jul 30, 2019.

1. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

After reading this I want to run out and find a meat rabbit

bondhu likes this.
  2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Rosemary is good on just about everything. That's why I keep a potted rosemary tree in my back yard.

Gforcetrivers and bondhu like this.
  3. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
  4. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    red squirrel, is better than gray squirrel.. they aint that much harder to clean, than a gray. i aint actually had wild rabbit in a while. i do so like it.. when ya think about a cooped up chicken, or a tame rabbit, guess i'll go with the tame rabbit, every time.
    as far as wild turkey, aint much good meat there, but at least the breast meat, has some flavor..

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    davers likes this.
  5. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I guess you are referring to Fox Squirrels, which is sort of a red Squirrel. Growing-up and Squirrel Hunting in Southern Indiana, Fox Squirrels was the only species of Squirrel, where I hunted. In 55 years of Squirrel Hunting, I bet I've only harvested < 7 Grays, up in Indiana. Down here in Central we have mostly Grays having very few Fox Squirrels, and I normally bag two Fox each season. Both are good eating. Last time I bagged a Rabbit was back in 1992, Got the limit on that hunt outing. Being older my reflexes and eyesight, aren't what they were, and I am not fast enough to take careful aim to bring them to bag. When I was in High School, I use to hunt Rabbits a lot and bagged a lot, but since 1976 - '78 winters Rabbits seemed to be hard to find. They seem to be making a come-back in the last few years though. I see on average 4-6 Rabbits per day out in my backyard grazing.

6. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    My Aunt always did wild rabbits one way, I do it the same. Cleaver in sections, Par boil a few minutes, then flour, salt n pepper, and fry in butter in a cast iron pan. These recipes here got me thinking I need to eat more rabbit and expand my horizons.

bondhu likes this.
  7. Meatstick

Meatstick 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2013
    Washington County
    Can't really improve on that method

bondhu likes this.
  8. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    A plain fried young tame rabbit is delicious; I like it better than fried chicken. Salt, pepper, and flour. And if u feeling froggy, make a gravy for it.

bondhu and barney like this.
  9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Fried rabbit without gravy is just wrong.........

Brody, bondhu, barney and 1 other person like this.
  10. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    probably so, as red squirrels go, fox, sounds more appropriate , . they seem to be at least 1/3 or so bigger, then grays seem to be getting puny. a bunch of rabbits here, till hunting season. however, my sisters cats are dwindling down.. the cats didnt care much bout mice, but i could see rabbit fur, in many places, here and in her yard..
    the strangest then i ever seen, as far as rabbits go was; on the back portion of land, surrounding my moms house, was two rabbits.. it looked like they were boxing.. they would stand up on the hind legs, and go at it. one of the rabbits though, got to jumping up in the air, and pissing on the other one. what a time, not to have a camera..

davers and barney like this.
  11. Why? He’s 100% spot on. Nothing on the planet beats the sweet and tender flesh of a young grey squirrel. Nothing and whoever said a red or fox squirrel was better tasting than a grey is off their flipping rocker lmao!

12. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Mainbeam do you have the rabbits marinated and the ridge runners running around

13. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

You've lost your mind.

drakeshooter likes this.
  14. bearleft

bearleft 6 pointer

Mar 16, 2014
    La Grange KY
    My family prefers the legs and thighs, Tony Chachere's seasoning on the smoker with Hickory for 3 Hours finish in the oven wrapped in foil. It's slap you momma good!!

drakeshooter likes this.
  15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    There is much more flavor in a wild turkey than a butter ball. Not even close!

OLE RASPY and drakeshooter like this.