Meat plants close.

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Wildcat, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Nobody is saying anything about all the meat we already have in cold storage. 502 million pounds of beef was what the USDA reported. I have not seen how much pork or chicken is already in cold storage.
    We have a lot of meat on hand.

barney likes this.
  2. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I started to notice the meat shortage weeks ago. Times will get much harder before anything gets better. To me, this is a well thought out plan by some very evil minded people. Greed, power and no respect for human life is what this is all about.

3. Check out the graphic at the bottom and all the vegetables they’re turning under. It’s liable to get ugly before it gets better. This response will go down as one of the biggest “Charlie Foxtrots” as we used to say in the navy in history, likely the biggest.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...YgJv7gVJPR8GlkmTOstNJmNLMea0lfJH_t591u18A_L3U

High Rack, barney and Carl like this.
  4. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    621,000,000 million pounds of pork.
    That's also a lot of meat. It will last for a few months. They are still processing meat just at a slower rate.
    Hopefully with warmer weather, things will get back to normal quicker.

timer and drakeshooter like this.
  5. 2 pounds per person will last a few months? I realize not everybody eats pork but you see what I mean?

6. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    When you add all the beef, pork an poultry meat that we currently have in cold storage, we have a lot of meat on hand.
    Retailer an processors will use these plant closures to raise prices to the consumer just because they can.
    Getting the meat from cold storage to the grocery shelves is the bottleneck that is causing the problem.

7. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I would say that if meat packers did not shut down ,then they could not claim GOV money or write offs

8. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    A lady whose family raises hogs in Iowa called in to Rush's show a couple of days ago and said that the processing plant they normally sell to was shutting down.

According to her, it normally slaughtered 20,000 (twenty thousand) hogs a day. She said (if I heard her correctly) that because her farm and many others were in a delivery chain to keep the plant supplied, her family was going to have to destroy 2,000 hogs in various stages of development ... they couldn't afford to feed them and hope that the factory would open back up anytime soon. She said all the suppliers of that plant were in the same boat.

Obviously her family has a big operation and I hope I have that number right but even if they only had to destroy a few hundred hogs, that would surely hurt the bottom line a bunch and when you multiply that by a few hundred farms, I wonder how many can survive?

9. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    I've had my meat in hand alot lately as well. Boring times.

10. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    With the joblessness reaching new all time highs, it looks like there would be some who could take over the jobs of these meat processing plants. I question the amount of illness due to Covid-19, and wonder if the free money handout where they receive more money by NOT working.

11. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.

The second article I posted had a simpler story.

12. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky

A lot of meat ... or just a little meat lots of times?? :p :D :D

13. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky

Looks interesting but it wants me to subscribe in order to read it and that ain't gonna' happen. I'll see if I can find it elsewhere ... thanks.

drakeshooter likes this.
  14. KYote-Krusher

KYote-Krusher 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2006
    South Central Kentucky
    Found this .... it sounds like this is the plant in Iowa that the lady was talking about and the farmer quoted in the article says he was delivering 300 to 500 hogs a week so maybe 2,000 in the chain on one farm is correct.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/23/cor...oods-to-shutter-two-major-us-pork-plants.html

That would make me SICK if the political response to this virus was responsible for ruining my life's work. How many lives will be lost because the politicians went mind dead and nuts?? There's a number you'll never see. :mad:

EdLongshanks and drakeshooter like this.