Meat chickens

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
I went the drill plucker route. It wasn’t great. Matter of fact it was bad. Tore the skin, left the feathers. What feathers it did strip made a hell of a mess. In small doses best just to pluck by hand. Now that whizbang plucker is no joke. May look into that build. Cool videos on the YouTube.
Man I just youtubed that whiz bang plucker. I never cared nothin about raising chickens but now I want to just so I have a reason to build and use that plucker. That's the most efficient machine I've ever laid eyes on.
Wonder if I can build a small one for doves??

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
Man I just youtubed that whiz bang plucker. I never cared nothin about raising chickens but now I want to just so I have a reason to build and use that plucker. That's the most efficient machine I've ever laid eyes on.
I don’t see why not?

Mainbeam

12 pointer
Jul 7, 2012
I think we gonna do 25 just so we can get the hang of it. I kind of liked the idea of staggering them so there not all ready at one time

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Back when I raised some meat birds, I raised them on wire floors, and kept them pretty crowded. I only took them to fryers at 3 lbs or a little bigger. It didn't take long to get them to that weight.

Dark Cloud

12 pointer
Aug 14, 2009
Lawrence Co.
I killed four 400 lb hogs and butchered and ground them in one day. It was a wild ass day but we got it done. Maybe a hundred chickens is too much I’m not sure Iv never done this. I think I can ring 50 necks in a day and I got a processor that is awesome for the other ones. And I’ll will add there was ten knives working on hog killing day. Iv still got 200+ rolls of good sausage right now
I’ve seen my mom and dad kill thirty or fourty in a day ,kill,pick, clean and put in the freezer. This was regular fryer size chickens, dad would buy fifty to a hundred every spring .

Munson

12 pointer
Dec 24, 2011
Natural Bridge

I checked it out too. Quite impressive. The video I watched the guy seemed to think you better be pretty advanced in afro engineering to pull it off.:D

muddhunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2005
louisville
Remember though, expect ALOT of them to die along the way.
What happened to yours? I’ve never had any meat chickens die. I’ve had a hard time with my layers getting killed by predators but the meat chickens finished so fast that we’ve had 100% survival till butcher day. Actually may have lost one as a chick but nothing stands out beside that

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
you can buy 25 or so for around the same price at a local feed store.. If you want a 100 Welp or Meyer hatchery have some of the best prices and free shipping..
I take mine to about 7 weeks so I have about a 5 3/4-6 pound processed weight..
Don't bother vacuum sealing(hard to vacuum sealing a odd shaped chciken), buy some shrink bags off amazon.. They come out perfect and are about .50 cents each. Work on rabbits too

Latest posts