MB 550 Non offset

Discussion in 'Trapping' started by Realtree GA, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Realtree GA

Realtree GA 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2008
    Northeast Georgia
    Does anyone run these? Just wondering if people like them as much as the offset. I'm thinking about picking up a half dozen.

2. muddhunter

muddhunter 12 pointer

Oct 18, 2005
    louisville
    Ive had several pullouts on non drowner water sets with my offsets. (probably otter) Never had a bit of problem with them on dry land with canines or coon. I think maybe my water sets would have held if they werent offset. I think by your posts you mess with mostly canines. I think either would work well for you.

3. Realtree GA

Realtree GA 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2008
    Northeast Georgia
    Thanks muddhunter. I found some RC's online. Pretty good price too. Half dozen four coiled for $104. 2 coiled for $96. Best price I've seen.

4. RUB LINE

RUB LINE 12 pointer

Sep 3, 2011
    Hillsboro, ky
    That's what I use mostly and really like them once I got the pan tension where I wanted it. I've caught coon, coyote, cat and fox in mine this year. Held them all just fine with no foot damage. Mine are 2 coil closed jaw

Goals/Catches
    Coon 15/18
    Coyote 3/3
    Fox 3/1
    Beaver 2/4
    Otter 1/0
    Mink 1/0
    Bobcat 2/3
    Skunk 0/1
    Grinner 0/lost count

5. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    I've only set offset MBs, but they make such a quality trap you would be fine. Those prices are about the same as retail, last time I checked. Well, on dozen prices anyway.

6. readonly

readonly 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2012
    I've had a few coon pull out of the offset 550's, so I thought of trying the closed jaw. Instead, I ended up buying 2 dozen of the sleepy creeking 1.75 closed jaw for about $70/dozen cheaper, and welding lamns on them. As it turns out, the new pan system sucks, so I pulled them off my line until the new PIT comes out next month.

My main concern about the closed jaw 550 is this.....I use 550's instead of 650's because I catch a lot of fox and stray dogs. It's a good mixed line trap. I have not yet had a fox or dog damaged in the offset 550. However, the worst damage I ever got on a fox was a toe catch in the MB 450 fox trap....closed cast jaws. The 550 is are much much stronger....the closed cast jaws on a 550s would be tough on the delicat feet of grays. So for closed jaw traps I will stick with outside laminations on sleepy creeks and dukes.

7. fullstrut1

fullstrut1 12 pointer

Oct 17, 2005
    Rineyville
    I have 3 dozen closed jaw 550 and love them but I do not recommend the 4 coil, I bought one 4 coil to try and it is a little too strong for fox. No problem with damage with the two coil.

8. trapper perry

trapper perry 12 pointer

May 10, 2009
    Realtree I haven't tried the MB 550's myself.Heard nothing but good reports on them from guys that use em.Myself am not a fan of offsets due to coon pullouts.Heard the 4 coil was too stout for fox but the 2 coil was strong enough for coyotes and easy on the fox.Like I said haven't used them just what I've heard.

9. Realtree GA

Realtree GA 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2008
    Northeast Georgia
    I'm not really targeting coons. I agree that 4 coil is a little over kill. I've decided on the OS jaws 2 coil. But then again, I may be able to pick up some used Bridger #2 OS jaw fully modified for about twelve bucks each. If that goes through then I'll put the MB's on the back burner.

10. carter county cuckler

carter county cuckler 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky
    The MB 550 OS 2 coil is all a man needs,great trap.Got rid off all my traps and got a few MB,s.I've caught my own coonhounds before with them with no damage lol.Not worried about coons pulling out,I turn them loose anyways if they aint chewed up half of their leg.I plan on trapping more next year and will probably switch to all rubber jaws.