Maybe an ethics question.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by TripleGee, Nov 6, 2019.

1. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    I hunt public land as I'm not a landowner.
    Recently, I found a great area and a fresh scrape line along a fire road along a ridge. Now, I found where someone had left a milk jug half full of his pee and an old milk crate to sit on. I don't know how long either have been there as there was no fresh activity to be seen except by bucks using that area. Both items were not 12-15 feet from the road and sign so I'm thinking it's a new hunter or kid to not be farther from the trail as there's no way scent will not be detected.
    My question is would you go ahead and put up your ladder stand in same area but farther from trail of course, or pass this by with chances of no one showing up?

2. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    Don't really matter if you have a seat, stand, etc. on public. Whoever gets there first on opening morning has the spot. As far as being a new hunter or not can't really tell sometimes the most overlooked spots near access are where the big boys end up hiding out because most people pass them up. I wouldn't set up a stand near a spot I knew someone else was hunting for the fear of them taking it with them lol. I would put the most distance between the human sign and myself as possible when it comes to your situation though.

3. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    I'm sorry, the area is around 350 yards in from a road in the boonies which is off from another road deep in the boonies. By 12-15 feet from the road, I meant he's just that distance from the hot sign which is way off any human travel area.

4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Make a mock scrape , pour the pee in it and sit on the crate.

But really if I looks like this years spot I would move on.. if it looks like last year go ahead and hunt.

TripleGee likes this.
  5. TripleGee

TripleGee 12 pointer

Sep 13, 2003
    Somerset
    I actually had thought of that very thing! Except moving crate farther back from scrapes.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  6. xilk123

xilk123 8 pointer

Oct 7, 2011
    clay co
    Good chance you be racing to beat someone in there or at the very least be hunting in the same area as someone else. I would go deeper.

TripleGee likes this.
  7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Hunt the crate and have a plan b. A ladder is going to be a pita to move if it comes to that

muddhunter likes this.
  8. elmucho277

elmucho277 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2009
    northern ky
    Nothing could be much worse than finding yourself sitting next to another hunter when the sun comes up. Been there, done that. I'd go further down the trail, at least a safe distance/direction where you don't have to worry about an errant round from the other hunters gun or yours.

9. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I’d rather use a climber or hunt off the ground on public so I’m more mobile. If I get crowded I just move.

Uscnoklahoma likes this.
  10. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    Oh yeah there is.... Sitting in your tree minding your own business & having another hunter come walking along & take a pee on it. Yep. Happened to my niece years ago. She was NOT amused but she shot her only buck about an hour later. Said the guy took off running when she said something & he looked up and saw her looking at him!

11. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I don't want to know how you discovered it was pee:eek: It may have been apple juice but we will take your word on that.

This hunter probably seen the same signs as you and decided it was a good place to hunt

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  12. kyoutdoorsman

kyoutdoorsman 12 pointer

Jan 19, 2016
    Maybe be keep hearing that your pee is just as good as store bought fake stuff 9 dollars for 4 ounces.

Uscnoklahoma likes this.
  13. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    I would have one of these for public land hunting.This would
    allow you to move easily.I would set up back behind the crate.
    If no one shows up your good to go,if they do you can relocate quickly.
    Good Luck.
    index.jpg

TripleGee likes this.
  14. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Be careful shifting weight on those, I weigh 190 and had the two back gromets rip ended up on my butt.. lol

I still have one in a blind I use often.

Cornpile likes this.
  15. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    Sounds like you need to lay off of them jelly and butter biscuits a little bit...:D:D:D

jblack1 likes this.