May be helpful for the Northwoods hunters.

GSP

14 Pointer
Staff member
Dec 12, 2001
Montrose
I have my own list similar to the one you posted on Excel. Modify this list to your own needs and save.
A couple of things not listed:
Corn Meal- They don't have a clue up there what cornbread is!

Liquor- You want a drink up there and they will try handing you that God awful Canadian Blended swamp water.

trust me

Troubled Loner
Nov 27, 2004
Jerkwater, KY
I read that list. The only thing missing is the 30 foot U-Haul it would take to pack all that stuff.

I have my own little list I use. Dog, gun, shells, grub. A little first aid equipment and a tool box under the rear seat of the truck. And a spare set of drawers in case I spoil the set I'm wearing.

brettfrancis1

6 pointer
Oct 26, 2006
Danville, KY
I don't take everything but it is pretty handy that I can print it out and cross out some things I'm not taking and check off what I have packed.

One thing I found the list didn't include is a dog itself. Forgot a dog behind last year. Drove a good distance without it last year before I turned around.

grousegal

6 pointer
May 9, 2008
Grayson, KY
I have my own list similar to the one you posted on Excel. Modify this list to your own needs and save.
A couple of things not listed:
Corn Meal- They don't have a clue up there what cornbread is!

Liquor- You want a drink up there and they will try handing you that God awful Canadian Blended swamp water.

I second Ronnie on this! Every time Mark and I go to Wisconsin, our friends and neighbors up there want to come over to our house for soup beans and corn bread. You would think that that meal would be a staple with those folks up there, but until I fixed it for them, they had never eaten it before! And Mark always makes sure that he has plenty of Evan Williams to take. At least I can buy Miller 64's and boxed wine there!! :cool:

brettfrancis1

6 pointer
Oct 26, 2006
Danville, KY
I didn't keep a very good count because I misplaced my counter for a while. Flew 6 grouse and not real positive on the woodcock. About 20 though. Woodcock wasn't in season. We hunted the Prudenville/Houghton Lake area. The whole reason for our trip was to get my 12 year old buddy on some grouse. It was his only time he could go because school and other things going on. All the woodcock points had him itching to pull the trigger. He knocked down a grouse over a point from his own setter dog and was thrilled. His dad got one too. I came up with nothing. I've had a good time watching a youth hunter turn into a bird hunter. In the past 12 months I've seen him take doves, quail, chukar, pheasant, woodcock, rabbits, squirrel, and finally a grouse. He's a shooter.

jarrodcombs

6 pointer
Feb 23, 2007
salvisa ky
Nothing better than a young kids expression after getting a grouse or any game for that matter. Thats awesome. Did you guys focus your hunting around water?

brettfrancis1

6 pointer
Oct 26, 2006
Danville, KY
Yeah water seemed to be the way to go. We wasted a lot of time in areas that usually are swampy but were completely dry once we got there. We only did well near hardwood stands close to large streams with water. Not many berries. They seemed to be eating acorns and wintergreen. None of my good spots held birds.

Latest posts