Matt Jones

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by trapperjoey, Feb 26, 2013.

1. trapperjoey

trapperjoey Fawn

Feb 4, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Hey guys Matt is asking us for some help
    Matt posted this on another forum I thought I would pass it on for him here.

Kentucky boys i need your help:

"some jackleg bypassed the fish and wildlife dept. and had one of his kin folks introduce house bill 403 to the general assembly.

it is going to be voted on some time this week

in short, the bill will make it unlawful to sell a live catfish across state lines, and restrict the harvest where no one can make a living or part time living fishing.

it will be traps, roots, and fur next

you can sure help by calling 1 800 372 7181...tell them you are apposed to house bill 403...they will ask your name, address, and county ... it will be relayed to your legislator...oh..and your phone number

i'll sure be greatfull if some of you boys call...as well as the other 200 and something commercial fishermen in the state

matt"

2. buckson

buckson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    kentucky
    I called them today saw this on the other forum i talked to a nice lady. I engourage everone to do this you give them an inch they take a mile we got stick together. They get one thing then they will want the rest .

3. wolverine1

wolverine1 12 pointer

Oct 19, 2004
    breckinridge county
    Made the call yesterday .....

4. BIGBONE

BIGBONE Spike

Sep 6, 2011
    nky
    This bill in no way has anything to do with trapping or hunting it is however long overdue. It will however regulate the amount of trophy catfish are being removed from our fishing waters and sold to pay lakes. The sickining amount of fish that have been removed from the ky and ohio rivers have devistated the trophy fish population and it has been documented by the results of all major and minor catfish tournament result. Just a few years ago you could go and catch 100lb bags and now you are lucky to get 30lbs. I dont think everyone has forgotten how to fish. Not all commercial fishermen are to blame but the ones who have taken thousands of punds of trophy catfish each week for years and then posting it on utube facebook and other forums are to blame. I say hope this passes you and it is about time the fisherman are being heard.

5. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    Guys. I have seen emotions run high on both sides of this issue. I just ask that you keep the discussion civil on here OK? But by all means discuss it. I can see good and bad on on both sides for this one and would love to know more about each side.

6. readonly

readonly 6 pointer

Nov 17, 2012
    Having troube catching a fish? Seems if they were so overfished, wouldn't be profitable to catch them for the paylake market.

7. RUB LINE

RUB LINE 12 pointer

Sep 3, 2011
    Hillsboro, ky
    You wanna see some fish killed and completely wasted just take the time to go back to the ramp the the day after the tournament where the fish were "released". I'd rather see a kid catching them at a pay lake than the birds pickin at the floaters. That's just me

Goals/Catches
    Coon 15/29
    Coyote 3/6
    Fox 3/4
    Beaver 2/9
    Otter 1/0
    Mink 1/1
    Bobcat 2/5
    Skunk 0/2
    Grinner 0/lost count

8. madtrapper

madtrapper Fawn

Mar 3, 2013
    I'm with bigbone on this one there has to be a limit on the big fish that are being pulled from the Ohio river we as a group belive in limits on deer turkey and other game so that we will have this in years to come and that our kids will have the chance to chase those joys in life like we have but I fear that if nothing is done it will be to late for the big cats on the Ohio river please vote for house bill 403

9. K9trapper

K9trapper 12 pointer

Dec 7, 2006
    How about the moderators moving this to the fishing forum, where it belongs. We never create conflict in this forum and now we have new members on the site, just to debate about a fishing post.

Thanks

10. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    agreed and done

11. westkybanded

westkybanded 12 pointer

Feb 23, 2004
    Murray, Kentucky, USA.
    Let the paylake owners breed and raise their own trophy size cats.

12. BIGBONE

BIGBONE Spike

Sep 6, 2011
    nky
    I agree. They dont let you to take there trophy fish from thier pond.

13. MikeKy

MikeKy 10 pointer

Feb 17, 2008
    My mind isn't madeup on HB403 yet but right now I'm inclined to oppose it for the following reasons:
    1. IMO it absolutely reeks of special interests.
    2. I like to see pay lake owners, commercial fishermen and their employees gainfully employed.
    3. I'd much rather see a 10 year old kid catch a 20 lb. catfish out of a paylake as a grown man catch one in the Ohio River. The kid will be thrilled for years. The adult might win fifty bucks to blow.
    That being said I might be persuaded to change my mind before making the phone call if you would please answer these questions for me.
    1. What size is a trophy catfish and who gets to determine that size?
    2. Are there any scientific studies that you know of to support your claim that the trophy fish population has been devastated in the Kentucky and Ohio Rivers?
    3. What time period are yo talking about, other than "just a few years ago"' that "all major and minor catfish tournament" results have declined?
    4. Do you have any substaniated evidence of an increased commercial catch during the period that catfish tournament results have declined?
    5. Are you upset with pay lakes or just commercial fishermen that post on youtube and facebook or both groups?

14. barmstrong

barmstrong 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    RIVER RAPERS!! B.s

15. madtrapper

madtrapper Fawn

Mar 3, 2013
    i fish the ohio river alot and im always willing to take some one along with me that has never had the chance to fight a big fish i take several kids with me and a in the past have put them on the biggest fish of there lifes but now the cf's are taking these big cats out of the river on a very large scale they are taking 800 to 1000 lbs a weekend and this is not just one boat there are around 250 cf's doing this. As far as the kids go there are as many that fish the river as there are that fish in a pay lake i think that a kid could get more out of fishing the river and learn more of the better values in life