Mast situation?

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
The last two years, I placed some shelled corn out, in an area of my property, where I could see out my kitchen window, but nothing but birds came to eat the corn. I guess we'll just have to wait and see on opening day (Aug. 20th) if things improve. I hope I am way-wrong and there will be huntable numbers of Squirrels this year.
Up-date, Found some Hickory & Oak trees with mast, this morning in my woods. Also, one tree was actively being used by Squirrels, plus saw some Deer too.

RRK

Spike
Feb 7, 2021
KY
Took my lab on a run this morning, thought I would check the hickory's down in the bottom, seen several squirrels leave a big scaly bark, went over to check and there ripping it. From all indications looks like we got plenty of food and squirrels.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Hickories are loaded everywhere I've been in in Pendleton, Bracken, and Campbell. Oaks are very spotty. Where I work in southern Campbell the oaks are loaded. Around my house and hunting grounds in NE Pendleton they are almost non-existent, both red and white.
Very strange that there’s such a difference so close. East of the AA is barren and up near 27 is loaded.

JGD

6 pointer
Feb 3, 2008
Nelson County
So I went to Taylor, Marion and Nelson county. The mast seems to be very spotty. Saw Hickories that were loaded to almost none at all as well as white oaks. Some of the Beech had decent mast. Some walnuts where loaded. Took a walk about through a woods in Nelson and saw almost no mast at all and zero squirrels or sign of them. This is a woods I’m very familiar with and usually have no problem getting the limit. Don’t know what to expect next weekend.

John

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
So I went to Taylor, Marion and Nelson county. The mast seems to be very spotty. Saw Hickories that were loaded to almost none at all as well as white oaks. Some of the Beech had decent mast. Some walnuts where loaded. Took a walk about through a woods in Nelson and saw almost no mast at all and zero squirrels or sign of them. This is a woods I’m very familiar with and usually have no problem getting the limit. Don’t know what to expect next weekend.

John
Same situation here in Northern Taylor County.

WaterDog88

12 pointer
Jul 28, 2008
Kentucky
Went and moved stands tonight in Scott co and noticed several hickory that had been cut on. Guess I know where I’ll be next weekend if I get out

JGD

6 pointer
Feb 3, 2008
Nelson County
So couldn’t hunt this weekend as I was down at Nolin Lake with wife and kids. Squirrels are cutting white oak, hickory, black gum and possibly beech. There are quite a few hickories but most seem to not have cuttings under them.
There is a little slick bark hickory over the driveway that appears to be cut out. The amount of cuttings in and around the driveway is astonishing.
I do believe that nuts are kind of spotty here as well but if you find that one tree you can really make hay. The tree limbs are dancing all around as I type this.

John

keeruss8

8 pointer
Jun 19, 2016
Marrowbone
I took the binocs out with me checking cameras yesterday. Red oaks is where it's at for acorns on my place this year. Only found 2 whites with some acorns. They're cutting hickory hard, lots of piles under trees. Also believe they were cutting up in a beech tree

KY_Fried

12 pointer
Nov 13, 2003
Foster, KY, USA.
I've been laid up in bed sick all day yesterday (got the damn COVID) and decided to drag my carcass out of bed and go for a little walk this morning. I've never heard more squirrels cutting nuts in all my life. It was literally raining cuttings everywhere, all hickory. I very much wanted to go back to the house and get a gun but I knew I wouldn't feel up to cleaning them.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
So couldn’t hunt this weekend as I was down at Nolin Lake with wife and kids. Squirrels are cutting white oak, hickory, black gum and possibly beech. There are quite a few hickories but most seem to not have cuttings under them.
There is a little slick bark hickory over the driveway that appears to be cut out. The amount of cuttings in and around the driveway is astonishing.
I do believe that nuts are kind of spotty here as well but if you find that one tree you can really make hay. The tree limbs are dancing all around as I type this.

John
Squirrels, on my property, are hitting White Oaks VERY HARD. They've yet began to cut Hickory; the last two Squirrels, I harvested, had their bellies full of acorns. As soon as the acorns play out, they'll be hitting the Hickories.

Latest posts