Mast situation?

JGD

6 pointer
Feb 3, 2008
Nelson County
Anyone want to share what the mast prospects are in they’re county? I’m hoping to be looking around in Nelson this coming weekend and if so I’ll give a report.

John

KYBOY

12 pointer
Apr 21, 2005
Floyd,co..Kentucky
I have not checked hickory yet but Ive seen a decent amount of acorns here on my property in Floyd co.. Im really curious about the hickorys

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Hickories and oaks are heavy in Washington, Marion and Bullitt. That's the only woods I've wandered so far.
Squirrels already have most of the scaly bark hickories cut out on our Bullitt county farm

KY_Fried

12 pointer
Nov 13, 2003
Foster, KY, USA.
Hickories are loaded everywhere I've been in in Pendleton, Bracken, and Campbell. Oaks are very spotty. Where I work in southern Campbell the oaks are loaded. Around my house and hunting grounds in NE Pendleton they are almost non-existent, both red and white.

WaterDog88

12 pointer
Jul 28, 2008
Kentucky
Just looked in Scott co. This past weekend. Good amount of red and white oaks. Not a bumper crop but good year. Lots of hickory of all varieties. Plenty of pig nut and bitternut.

BELLY UP!!!

6 pointer
Jun 14, 2009
lawrenceburg, ky
White oaks here are loaded. Seems like everyone I walk by has more than plenty. And the hickorys are looking the same. Actually found one yesterday that has a few cuttings under it. --Anderson Co.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
Anyone want to share what the mast prospects are in they’re county? I’m hoping to be looking around in Nelson this coming weekend and if so I’ll give a report.

John
I've not ventured much at all into my woods, but I believe the Hickory, Oak, and other Masts will be normal this year. The Squirrels, on my property, are currently cutting Pine cones, as there are several around my back yard, and the ground is littered with pine cones remains scattered about.

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
I've not ventured much at all into my woods, but I believe the Hickory, Oak, and other Masts will be normal this year. The Squirrels, on my property, are currently cutting Pine cones, as there are several around my back yard, and the ground is littered with pine cones remains scattered about.
I hope you're right. I haven't checked yet.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
I hope you're right. I haven't checked yet.
I got a chance to check-out my woods, the spots where I normally Squirrel Hunt, but didn't see many Hickory Nuts or even Acorns. Usually, this time of the month of August, I see green Hickory nuts scattered around the trees with one little nip taken out of the nut. Didn't see one such nut. I was certain there would be a good crop of mast this year (2022) since we didn't have any late May freezes, but this apparently isn't the case this year or for the past seven years. Really thinking about moving back to Indiana, where I've always found good Squirrel Hunting, and always had a good time. Down here, all I got is chigger bites, face full of Spider webs, and very few Squirrels to show for it.:(

120+

12 pointer
Aug 22, 2006
You can't get there from here.
I got a chance to check-out my woods, the spots where I normally Squirrel Hunt, but didn't see many Hickory Nuts or even Acorns. Usually, this time of the month of August, I see green Hickory nuts scattered around the trees with one little nip taken out of the nut. Didn't see one such nut. I was certain there would be a good crop of mast this year (2022) since we didn't have any late May freezes, but this apparently isn't the case this year or for the past seven years. Really thinking about moving back to Indiana, where I've always found good Squirrel Hunting, and always had a good time. Down here, all I got is chigger bites, face full of Spider webs, and very few Squirrels to show for it.:(
I haven't put out any corn yet so I'm not sure. If the mast is low the squirrels wear out the feeder. Had something like 16 squirrels in a feeder picture a few years ago.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
I haven't put out any corn yet so I'm not sure. If the mast is low the squirrels wear out the feeder. Had something like 16 squirrels in a feeder picture a few years ago.
The last two years, I placed some shelled corn out, in an area of my property, where I could see out my kitchen window, but nothing but birds came to eat the corn. I guess we'll just have to wait and see on opening day (Aug. 20th) if things improve. I hope I am way-wrong and there will be huntable numbers of Squirrels this year.

RRK

Spike
Feb 7, 2021
KY
Looks like a good crop of Hickory's and Red Oak, White Oak's looks a little sparse around me here in south Calloway.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Raining on my house on Ky Lake. Fun to step on barefoot, spilling coffee every morning.
20220812_141054_copy_1200x1600.jpg