marine grade plywood

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by carpkabob, Feb 18, 2011.

1. carpkabob

carpkabob 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2009
    breathitt co.
    where can i get it no one around here has any.

2. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Get you a piece of Advantech.

3. bnt5

bnt5 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    Burlington KY
    If you are planning on prolonged moisture exposure then I would definately go with something highly water resistant like Okoume plywood, however you will pay out the nose for it and only specialty wood companies carry it. If you want to do the budget route, you can use standard 3/4" plywood and waterproof it with a good quality penetrating sealer, all sides including cut areas. I have had my boat completed for a few years now and the plywood I used shows no sign of weakening or rot. Will it last as long as a high quality marine plywood? No, but I can rebuild the interior of the boat 4 times before I would come close to the price of Okoume plywood. Another way to seal and waterproof plywood is through the use of epoxy resin, simply cut your pieces, dry fit, then coat each piece in 2 part epoxy with a roller and paintbrush this seals the wood pores and stops it from wicking moisture. Good Luck!

4. carpkabob

carpkabob 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2009
    breathitt co.
    my boat never stays wet long i store it in my barn after each trip, the epoxy resin sounds like it would be fine for what i want thanks guys.

5. carpkabob

carpkabob 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2009
    breathitt co.
    bnt5 will you post a link to where i can buy it at online or can you get it at home depot or lowes?

6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Advantech is already sealed, VERY moisture resistant, stable and strong and around $20 at your nearest lumber yard.....

7. itstherush

itstherush 6 pointer

Sep 19, 2010
    Grayson co
    if you are doing a boat deck or similar, look into this product....its called dibond or alucobond..... its an aluminum panel with 1/16" aluminum sheets sandwiched together with a vinyl core... this stuff is awesome.... i used it on everything.... it never rots... it wont seperate, and can be cut with a skil saw. any sign shop or decal shop has connections to get it.. look for seconds or #2 grade to save money, this stuff is actually aircraft aluminum, used for outer shells of small aircraft and framework on airliner jets..

8. kdfwr907

kdfwr907 6 pointer

Dec 29, 2003
    Jackson Co
    I will have to 2nd this vote. The vocational school rebuilt the transom in my 78 model work jon boat with it and I am amazed.

We took a small peice and cut it to fit inbetween the ribs on the floor to mount the battery box to. We intentionally did not paint it when we painted the boat, just to see how it would last.

Where i park the boat has a little grade, and it is down hill and opposite of the drain plug, so it has about an inch of water over it until i pull out on the road and it drains. It has been over year and 1/2 and it has not even thought about delaminating.

9. carpkabob

carpkabob 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2009
    breathitt co.
    i have been looking for with no avail alucobond so know you all have me looking very seriously at Advantech.

10. jdattilo

jdattilo 6 pointer

Feb 17, 2005
    Louisville
    This alucobond stuff is very mysterious.

11. carpkabob

carpkabob 6 pointer

Dec 7, 2009
    breathitt co.
    if you go to there web site the closest dealer is in Illinois

12. bnt5

bnt5 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    Burlington KY
    you should be fine with any plywood as long as its treated with some type of waterproofing, I get advantech for around $25 for a 3/4" sheet. Hopefully your boat wont sit full of water all the time, that would be hard on almost any type of wood :) Is weight a concern for you on the boat? Advantech sheet weighs 75#'s. Geogia Pacific has a competing brand of plywood called Dry Ply if advantech is not available in your area. I would still paint/primer any exposed cuts and ends to slow down water absorbtion. I believe that advantech also has 5/8" sheets available and it sports less deflection than standard plywood which will assist with bracing spacing (haha I'm a poet). good luck

13. BunnyBuster

BunnyBuster 10 pointer

Aug 21, 2005
    Garrison, KY
    this is what i use i love it

14. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    When Advantech first hit the market, samples of the product were sitting in local lumber yards in buckets of water. They did this to prove the water resistant nature of the sheet. It DON'T absorb moisture...The amazing thing about Advantech is not only its superior moisture resistance, but, as stated above, its deflection. Due to this stiffness, the product weight issue can be overcome by needing less supporting framework for the deck.

On another note, I have built 2 boat decks with the stuff...one is 8 years old, both are still going strong!

15. bnt5

bnt5 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    Burlington KY
    it does absorb some water and was never meant to be submerged, there have been a few water tests done to the stuff and the absorbtion rate is very low compared to standard OSB or plywood. Apparently it comes with a 300 day guarantee that it can be left out in the elements, however I dont think the manufacturers included submersion as part of the warranty:) However, this is probably splitting hairs and I agree with Barney you will love your new boat interior!!